1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 5StringThunder, Jan 24, 2013.

1. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    I use Ernie ball power slinky 5 string set 50-135 round wounds on my fretted basses. Are there any flat wound strings that are the same sizes for my fretless?

2. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
  3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    La Bella and Roto make 52-110 flats which are, I think, as close as you are going to get to 50-135.

The experience with heavy flats will be very different from your heavy rounds, I assure you. :)

4. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    50-110 for a 5 string set?

5. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Dec 28, 2012
    Also how are they going I be different?

6. get these and add the low B

http://www.juststrings.com/fnd-9050m.html

I use 9050's and, even though the low B is a 128, it sounds much better than the D'Ad Chrome low B, and it still has tone after a year on the bass.

7. dubhnight

dubhnight

Jul 26, 2012
    They tend to be higher tension for the same gauge, ie you'll want something lighter than the rounds you normally use. Jasper is probably right when he suggests the Jamersons, they are pretty damn heavy. At least they'll be a good starting point, if you don't like them you can always go heavier.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    The Jamerson 5 string set is .052 through .128, and will be much stiffer than you are used to with your super slinkys. To get approximately the same tension, I'd consider Sadowsky Black Label Flats in teh Light set: .040 through .125. Flats are stiffer than rounds, by an order of magnitude, especially when compared to super slinkys, so you really want to go at least one set lighter than you are using now, maybe even more.

For the best prices and service, I'd go to Bass Strings Online. Jason (the owner) is a supporting member here, and is really good to other members.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021