Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Height

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 12, 2006.

1. I know this is more about a bridge than strings but it still is string related (didn't realy know were else to put it). I was wondering if it's ok to buy thinner height adjusters so the strings would be closer to the fingerboard so I can realy hit the notes easier at the bottom of the finger board.

2. Metal height adjusters, made of aluminum, brass, or other material are all pretty much the same thickness. Ebony and other wood type adjusters are thicker, and sometimes contoured. What is your string height now, and are you planning to install them yourself?
    (A bad idea if you've never done it before.)

3. Im not installing new height adjusters I just thinking about to putting in thinner ones. At the bottom of the finger board the strings are about 1 1/4". I don't realy like the height adjusters i have in there.

4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    1 1/4"??? I think a visit to the luthier might be a good idea. That's very high.

No offense if that's the way you like it. To each his/her own!

Jason

5. It's not that high at the top just at the bottom of the finger board. The bridge realy needs to be adjusted. I realy need it to be lowered. The problem is that the height adjusters are already all the way down.

6. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Yea, I hear ya. I play bluegrass mostly, and I've seen basses set up like before. They are really hard to play, and sometimes they're set up like that because of neck problems. Especially if it's 'much' closer near the nut, there's likely a problem somewhere and it may not be the bridge completely at fault.

Jason

7. JJBluegrasser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I just noticed that your profile says you're an advanced player. Much of what I'm saying may be inappropriate in that light. You probably know more about what you're doing than I was giving you credit for. I'm sorry if I am oversimplifying things.

Warning Off Topic: Hey, you're from Chattanooga? Do you know Clyde Blaylock?

8. Yo I am open to all sugestions. I'm never to proud to take information or advice. It rings a bell but you'll have to give me a little more info on him.

9. You can't buy thinner adjusters and assume that they have the same thread as the one's you've got in. I'd take it to a luthier which I suspect might even be cheaper than new adjusters. By thinner adjusters what I think you have in mind is a thinner adjusting wheel that will allow the two halves of the bridge to be closer together. If you got such things they may not be that structurally good or easy to use. Informed opinion round the world seems to be that aluminium adjusters are probably best - some - Jeff Bolbach for instance, machines his from a solid block of aluminium rather than put wheels onto a half threaded shaft as is generally to be expected. Only one side of the bridge is threaded so taking a little wood out of the bridge should be an easy job? I put the question mark coz I'm guessing that bit.

10. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    if the adjusters are all the way in now, why not just take a little wood off the top of your bridge to fine tune your string heights?

i'm having a luthier put adjusters in my bass and i specifically asked him to make my string heights 7,7,8,9 so that once i feel how it plays i'll ask him to take the g string down just a little (or leave it). the g was too low before and the string spacing at the bridge is the reasons i had adjusters installed.
    i don't think i'll move my string height around once i find where i like it. i want the adjusters to be screwed all the way down like it's a solid bridge.

i was jsut looking through the posts again.....are your strings really an inch and a quarter off the board at the end? from the fingerboard surface to the center of the string????
    that's like close to 30mm if i'm not mistaken, it is early in the morning.
    if it is that much really, take it to a luthier.
    perhaps some wood needs to be taken off the legs....or you need even more work.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If everything else is right, your repair guy will take some length from the legs of the bridge. Not a big repair at all.

12. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ouch.. No Adjusters in the world can make up that difference. Besides the threading problem you may encounter have a Pro Bass Luthier look at the Neck-set/Neck-Stand. At this time, how high is the center of the Bridge off the top of the Bass? If it is less than 6 3/4" now then you have a bigger problem. This is common with many Basses. It is known as Neck-stand and can be corrected in several ways. Mainly, the neck needs to come out towards the Top and away from the Back as well as re-pitching if necessary. A full thickness FB is also good to have done at this time so everything is optimum after the repair. The Bridge is fitted and adjusted last!