1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Helicore Pizzicato L on 4/4 bass

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Gregmak, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Hi guys,

I ordered these strings but I didn't like them on my main bass and now thinking of putting them on my second bass.

My second bass is a 4/4 bass with 112cm string length (42"). Will these strings work or will they break if I try to put them on? O nthe website it says they are optimized for 106cm (41").

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Also the afterlength of my bass (bridge to tailpiece) is 8". So that's a total of 50". Someone help me before I break the strings :D

3. I borrowed the Helicore Hybrid Light and put it on my 110 cm bass (but just for a few minutes since I didn't wanted to risk a breaking string). I borrowed them for tension measuring. (I do this with all strings I can get but don't publish the data for all since getting the data is currently coupled to get more strings for measurement.)

You will get about 11% to 12% more tension than on a 106 cm on yours. By some experiment, I found that strings break at about 40% to 50% more tension than intended, but this depends on string construction of the core! Higher tension generally means a higher risk of breaking.

The scale is generally reported for the published tension since they depend on each other using the same string.

If the string fits on my bass I think it should on yours too. I cannot remember the silk being very close to the nut, so it should fit. But you might want to ask D'Addario to be completely sure.

4. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Hey man, I tried putting them on and actually you're right, they fitted quite ok, but the tension was too high so I took them off. I'm gonna order some 4/4 spiro's. Thanks!

bskts247 likes this.
  5. Spirocore 4/4 Mittel (S42) have even more tension than the Helicore. The Spirocore 4/4 Weich (S42W) have a very little bit less tension (about 1 kp, that's a third of the difference between Mittel and Weich), so if you want signifikantes less tension you need to get Spiro 4/4 Solo strings (S43) tuned down to orchestral tuning.

Search for DoubleMIDI and Dropbox on Talkbass, get my corrected baen.tamu.edu 105 cm list and the javascript Formulas calculation from there (runs in every web browser locally). Then you can check the tensions before you buy something that won't fit.

6. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not that is matters much, but 112 cm is 44'', 106 cm is 41.7''. :)

7. Gregmak

Gregmak

Oct 1, 2009
    Larnaca, Cyprus
    Thanks man, that's very helpful!

8. Hi Greg,

I just listened to some recordings of your band forwhat kind of style you are playing.

I like the Innovation Braided very much for that kind of style. Tension similar to Spiro 4/4 Weich, but higher strings are a bit thicker which is nicer to press down. Nice round pizz when played at the end of the fingerboard (like you do), more upwards is not that good.
    The prototypes I got from Innovation were even better, but they have changed them a lot I since I got them I was told and haven't got an actual set yet.

If the Braided are one or two centimeters too short I have an idea how they would fit:
    They have a loop end with a bar through it, acting as a ball end. You can easily remove the bar, make a loop out of 1.5 to 2 mm braided nylon rope (should be available almost anywhere at least at a maina store at the harbor) and put a loop through the string loop and the trough itself. Then use the string like a gut string with a looped end.

I would not remove silk from the peg end of the Braided since only a short area of the wound part is covered with silk there.

For some time I even mixed them with Spirocore 4/4 Weich A and E, which worked well pizzed but bowing on the Spiros was harder. I carefully bended the Braided A and E over their whole length because they were stiff and afterwards they were much better than before and I replaced the Spiros with the Braided.

I still use two Braided strings with the prototypes, because two of the prototype strings had much less tension than the other two. It might take a whole to adapt to the new sound, but I never got a blister with the Innovation strings, whereas I rather often get them with Spiros.