Hello Bass People

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by fretster, Feb 27, 2006.

1. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    founder, AceNote Inc.
    Hi. I have been invited to make my first post, as I've been a member for 6 months and haven't posted anything yet. So here goes:

Hello to all of you! The family of Bass Players is a Great one, and I'm glad to be in it. I have enjoyed reading your posts, and have learned quite a bit from this site.

The Bass is my 4th instrument, after violin, mandolin, and guitar. It's taken me 30 years to work my way up to the bass, which I started seriously 4 years ago. What took me so long???? I love it!!!!!! I'm playing in a Big Band, with charts from 1930-1950, where the average age of the members is 80, and I'm the youngster at 49. There are a few younger people, in high school and middle school, playing side by side with 90 year old musicians. I play in a few other jazz combos, for fun and the occasional free drink.

I have a Fender Jazz Bass, and as of a week ago, I also have a Fretless Fender Jazz. Plus a bunch of guitars and mandolins. The house is full of musicians, with my wife a pianist, and all the kids playing horns, flutes, bassoons, and guitars. Trying to get a family band together has NEVER worked, but we occasionally jam together.

My day job is in computers. Nights and weekends are for music, whenever possible. In the summer, I'm involved with a music workshop for kids: a week long jazz camp, with 200 students and 30 musicians/music educators on staff. It's a gas, and it's where I got started on bass.

-- Cayford Burrell, aka Fretster.

Hmmm.. the newest bass being fretless kind of wrecks my forum name...