1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hello, I need help in purchasing my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by verjolas, May 2, 2010.

1. verjolas

verjolas

May 2, 2010
    I'm about to purchase my first bass next week and I'm still not so sure which one to get. I'm willing to spend about 350$ on this guitar. I play mainly Rock, not metal or heavy rock. Right now I have 3 guitars on my mind:

1) The IBANEZ GSR 200 - it's recommended everywhere for rookies, is it really that good?

2) A Jackson C20 or something like that on one of the stores I've been to, is it any good?

3) Squier by Fender Affinity Series Jazz Bass - Somebody told me this one rocks and it's also in my budget, but he said that it is more fitted to light rock & jazz style.

Can someone help me choose? Or otherwise give me another option? Thanks very much!

2. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    I am not familiar with options 1 and 2, but you can't go wrong with a Jazz. A Jazz Bass is good for all kinds of music, contrary to what your friend says.

3. I would look in to Essex(also known as SX) basses. Some users on here prefer SX basses over MIA Fenders.

4. verjolas

verjolas

May 2, 2010
    I live in Israel so that's a kind of problem I guess..

And tdizzle, is that Squier really that good?

5. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    Don't get the Affinity, get a Squire classic vibe Jazz bass. They are exceptional instruments with great tone, great feel, great looks, and it is in your budget. Enjoy your new purchase what ever it may be.

6. I've tried all of those 3 and I'd say Ibanez or Squier but if I can give you my own opinion, I would get a Yamaha

7. verjolas

verjolas

May 2, 2010
    I've considered the Yamaha RBX170 earlier but it's almost the same in cost as the IBANEZ and the IBANEZ is active and has that EQ effect or something that makes it better.

8. Well, it's actually just your personal preference which you like more, the active or the passive :smug:

9. epic!

epic!

Jan 16, 2010
    go for an SX

10. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Is there a Guitar Center in Isreal? Sounds like you need to buy something where you live to avoid all the hassles of shipping it to you. Here in the states you can get a Fender Squire starting at $199. If you look long enough all you see are Fender copy cats and for a good reason. I am sold on Fenders its that simple. I'm sure the others are good but these are the standard ......The Squire Classic Vibe jazz sounds like the ticket........good luck :cool:

11. verjolas

verjolas

May 2, 2010
    I don't know about a center but we have a lot of guitar\music shops in my city..I will look for that Squier, thanks!

12. mgauge

mgauge

Dec 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Ibanez.. For $350? Ibanez all the way...

13. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I would say keep hitting up local music shops and see what appeals to you the most. Ibanez, Squier, Yamaha are all safe good bets for beginner instruments. Don't be afraid to try something you haven't seen, also I would say don't worry so much about what features an instrument has, like active to passive, just play both and see what you think is better to have. SX is another company that I highly recommend though I don't know if you have a dealer in Israel, I know there are a few in Europe.

Also on Squier, I would try and avoid affinity, they aren't bad but they aren't the best squier has and for a bit more you could get a Standard, Vintage Modified, or Classic Vibe.

14. verjolas

verjolas

May 2, 2010
    I haven't found a shop here that sells SX or Essex, but thanks anyway. I've already tried the Ibanez GSR 200 and the Yamaha RBX170. I think I'll eventually go with the Ibanez..seems like the best choice.

15. verjolas

verjolas

May 2, 2010
    Hey I've actually found one. "SX FPB-57" - 194$. Is it any good?

16. Get the squier affinity jazz, i played one at GC and it does NOT play like a squier

17. i bought an Ibanez GSR200 as my first bass. it was amazing. lasted 4 years and still going strong. I think I wouldve quit playing bass if i got a fender squier P bass. I havent heard much about the Squier j bass tho.

I would absolutely recommend the Ibanez because of the versatility and quality for the price.

18. melodicly

melodicly

Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    When I went to purchase my first bass (I had been playing a while already, but didn't own my own) I was given the best advice from a phenomenal and well seasoned player I could have ever heard..... "It really doesn't matter. Play them all acoustic sitting down and standing up. You will know when you find the one you want." I ended up with an Ibanez SR505 because it wasn't too heavy, it balanced well sitting or standing, the string spacing and neck width wasn't as intimidating as others, it didn't feel as cheaply built (to me anyway) and it looked good (sounds petty, but you don't get wedding band gigs with crap looking gear). As I became more knowledgeable about the tones my FINGERS were capable of and the type of bass sound I was wanting to get with that, then I started tweaking amps, cabs, technique etc. 5 years later, and after MANY different gigs and styles, I finally dropped the big money on a nice(er) bass, because my skills had out grown the limitations of the Ibanez. Any bass really can play rock, but can you rock that bass becomes the question....:bassist:

Long story short, if the squier, or rock bass or schecter or whatever had felt as comfortable to me, I would be saying the same about them. Get something you will WANT to play and practice on and aspire and dream and GAS and well..... just love being a bass player! If you get something that we consider a quality instrument and it's ends up not being fun to play for you, well that defeats the whole purpose!

Good luck and tell us what you end up with!

19. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    Laguna bass for 199 is pretty good with flats. very light.

20. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

The Ibanez is a good choice, IF the thin neck feels comfortable to you.

Otherwise get the best Fender Jazz you can afford.