Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help a newbie out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ponjac, Nov 10, 2005.

1. ponjac

ponjac

Oct 3, 2005
    Thinking about buying this (below) from a local guy. Wondering if you guys can tell me if thats an OK deal? I'm going to look at it Saturday. Anything specific I should look for (problem areas)? I know a pic would be nice. I've seen the pic's and it looks to be in great shape.Thanks! Jay

Oh, and it's a 1999.

FOR SALE: American Fender P bass
    Date Posted: 04/13/2004 Price: $450
    Expires On: 12/04/2005

Description
    Natural Ash body($100 option) with rose wood fret board. Custom Bill Lawrence pickup.New cond.Have original pickup in case. With case.Beautiful grain on body.Must see and play.List pricd is $1547.New condition.Made in USA.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    How exactly do you have an optional ash body?

Oh well, if its at that price, I say jump on it...

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Sounds good but it would be helpful to you if you could bring someone with you who has some experience in purchasing a bass (if you don't). Ask to see the original bill of sale if the seller has it. Check the neck for straightness and the body for dents. Find out when the owner last had it set up. The price seems pretty reasonable for that type of bass. If you like the feel and sound and everything checks out I'd say it's a fair deal.

Let us know how it turns out!

4. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I agree with the above comments. That's a good low price for a US precision, provided there's nothing seriously wrong with it, and provided there haven't been any modifications made other than the pickup swap (like extra routings, refinishing, etc.).

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Sounds like a good price to me

6. One of my friends ran into a problem...
    When he got the bass everything checked out, but when he got it home he found a few dead spots, no problem, just adjust string height a little. Well that didn't help because when the fret buzz left the strings were about 1/3 of an inch or so off the fretboard. Then we decided maybe a little truss rod adjustments would help.
    Trus rod didn't work.
    So make sure all the parts work, not just the electronics and stuff.

My $0.02