1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Blew a horn in my B-52 powered main!

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Schizoid75, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, guys & gals. I was running sound for my new band last night and I noticed that the horn in one of my B-52 ACT 1515X had gone missing. I have no idea when it happened or how it happened, but as soon as I fired them up last night, it was obvious.

So, I haven't popped the grill off yet to take a look, but I'm getting advice first. I'm completely incompetent when it comes to this stuff, but the only reliable shop in town generally runs a two week wait and I've got gigs coming up. Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? They are active towers with 2 15's and a "titanium compression driver."

What are the likely suspects? Is there something on the back panel I should check? Is the high frequency driver something I could replace on my own? Where would I find parts?

As you can tell, I'm completely lost, but I figured I'd try this route first. Thanks!

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    B52 claims to have a lifetime guarantee on their compression drivers. I have a pair of the LX1515's that I use for live gigs. They are the passive ones but they run the same driver. I have never blown anything in them and I run 1100-1200 watts into them.

Call B52 and tell them what happened. They sould warranty compression driver.

3. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I see on their site that they have their compression drivers listed, I assume for sale. So I'll see if they'll replace it free of charge, but if not, I should be able to buy one. I took off the grill and pulled the driver out today and it seems very easy to replace. I already removed the waveguide so all that's left is to remove the two wires and then wire up the replacement driver. I hope that does it!

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Good luck with that. It's pretty easy to do on most PA cabinets. Blowing tweaters was a fairly common problem on our passive JBL EON's. Replaced more than a few of those.

5. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Okay, so let me bring you up-to-date. I ordered a replacement from Musician's Friend as it was a good bit cheaper. It was backordered and when it finally arrived, it was the wrong piece. Technically, the driver was fine, but it mounted in a different style. So I sent that back and ordered the correct one from B-52. Now it's here, but I'm not sure how to wire it up. The terminals are a different connection from the last one. I've attached some pics. I seem to have to options: 1) Cram the wires into the tiny holes pictured. 2) Solder them to the base where there already appears to be a glob of solder.

The holes are pretty small and I can't get more than the tip of the wire to push through. And then they won't stay, so I assume I'd have to solder them into place. If I attach the wires to the base, I guess I'd just lay the wires down in there and cover the top with solder.

Man, I hate being mechanically inept! Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Sean

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Would it be possible to change the diaphram?

7. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    That went right over my head. Which part of the assembly is the diaphragm and what would be gained by changing it?

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I posted before I read where you got the replacement in.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yep. Get the correct push-on terminals and crimp tool for the job.

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    It's internal and it's the part that actually makes the sound. It's also the part that fails in most cases.;)

The benefit is that it doesn't cost as much as buying a whole new magnet structure that you probably don't need.

11. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hmmm. Something like this? I take it the two parallel sections would slide down over the tabs on the back of the structure and then I crimp the wire into the perpendicular section. Is that what I need, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

12. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Yeah, something like that, although usually with a little insulator on the barrel. You can often find 'em in local hardware stores or automotive supply places. Just make sure you get the right size and gender (female is what you need). Typically that'd be .250 inches or .187 for most of the speaker terminals I've worked with.