1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help!! Blues solo in F!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ElectraPhoenix, May 17, 2011.

1. We're doing an arrangement of "Everybody's Everything" by Santana for jazz band. It's an F blues, but not swing (duh). I need solo suggestions! Is there maybe a written out funky solo that's in F, or that I could transpose to F, that I could use? I have 12 bars to solo and I really need the help. The solo section of the piece alternates F and Bb every measure except the last four bars go C - Bb - F - F, but during my solo it's just me and the drums.

2. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    "The Lemon Song" by Zepplin has the greatest rock/blues bass solo ever. Its nothing fast or complex but its bluesy and sweet as can be. There is definately a few 12 bar progressions during the solo so take your pick. :bassist: Oh, and its in E so you'll have to bump up the transcription a half step into F.

3. beam2611

beam2611

Jan 14, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    +1 on that funky Blues solo....here's a play-along video I did of the John Paul Jones solo... not super good quality vid, but you'll get the idea anyway...

Lemon Song - John Paul Jones Bass Solo

Hope this helps...

4. Thanks guys, I'll try this out. He uses blues scale/notes for this right?

5. beam2611

beam2611

Jan 14, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    JPJ uses the blues scale, the minor & major pentatonic scales, chromaticism and the mixolydian scales mostly for that solo.

Have fun with it...

6. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    Um, yeah. A lil bit.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    What do you hear in your head? Play that.

8. Just go with the rhythm.

Start with what you play under the verses but fancy it up a bit. It's only 12 bars.

Worst case scenario, play it as a breakdown with the drummer.

9. The bass line can be half time easily in that groove so you can impliment that and work a slide movement in from your F on your E and a nice slow slide up for an effect. The drummer is gonna maintain the speed so your free to go anywheres with tempo. I would look into some Willie Weeks grooves also Rocco, the horn section is Tower of Power on that tune and does resemble Tof P. For 12 bars you don't need to fill the spot up with notes thats what alot of cats will do. Rather think taste and even be cute to the point of some eye contact with your audiance with a slide or two that maybe resolves with you and the drummer accenting. Remember 95% of the people diggin what your puttin down don't know a damn thing about music, they know what they SEE & HEAR, so mixing good playing with some entertainment always is a good thing. Ofcourse that depends on your personality. Doc.

10. Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions, I worked some stuff out and I've got a good solo worked out. I'm playing tonight!