1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help building my warmoth!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StinkyPeteXI, Jan 15, 2012.

1. It probably won't be very soon, but I'm going to build a Warmoth Jazz bass at some point. I've already decided on an ash body with a flame maple top and their tequila sunrise burst finish, and an ebony fingerboard, but I have no idea what back wood to use on the neck. I plan to have an EMG PJ set in it, but I don't know what preamp would be best. Again, this probably won't be very soon, but I do want to know about how much I need to save up and part of that is knowing what neck wood and preamp I want. What do the people of Talkbass recommend?

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    What kind of wood do YOU want for the neck?

3. What about a Status-Graphite neck. You can get one for about $600.

4. Just depends on how you want it to look, whether you want a wood with or without a finish..etc.

5. I want whatever kind of wood for the neck that would give the best tone in combination with the ash body and ebony board. I've been thinking about padouk or wenge, but I really am not sure. Graphite sounds cool also, I will definitely check that out.

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'd go way out there, and go maple.

7. I wanna stray from the norm. I've never had a bass that wasn't maple necked and want to branch out from it.

8. What about a rosewood neck? One of the TBers on here has a rosewood neck/wenge (I think?) fretboard Jazz and it looks pretty unique!

9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Those sound like names for characters in a Star Trek episode.

Padouk sounds interesting, but......
    maybe Klingon would be better.

Serious they say padouk sounds like maple, and wenge looks like its rough and uncomfortable.
    passive is better in my world, so my 2 cents aint worth much are they?

10. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    black limba wouldn't be a bad choice. I have a tom clement with a quartersawn black limba neck thats been super stable.

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I go to warmoth and get a headache from the options... subscribed

12. Thanks for subscribing! Much appreciated.

13. P
    Which model is it? That sounds interesting, I wanna look up sound clips. Better yet, do you have any?

And to whoever suggested passive pickups, I like the flexibility of having a 3-band active EQ on board.

14. Davejs

Davejs

Dec 21, 2011
    Did see a custom laminate neck with graphite truss rods in the mid 80s. Body had a cool birds eye maple top with sunburst finish. Talked to the guy he said the neck did not bend when trying to bend it. Saw the guy about 2 months later playing some crap guitar, he had that guitar for 2 weeks and it was stolen from his Apt. He had no Insurance and no money to duplicate it. That would be cool to try building have not scene or heard of anyone doing them anywhere.

15. selowitch

selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Goncalo alves is a good shaft wood. Sounds great, relatively inexpensive.

16. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Wenge is actually quite accomodating to the hand. Seems the grain's reduction of surface area contact combined with the woods hardness and stability make for SEVERAL of the most comfortable necks ive played on. Warmoth does an AMAZING job with them

17. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I've done well with Warmoth's birdseye maple on the neck shaft. It's solid, well-finished, and musical. What more is there?

18. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    it's clement bass #227. if you go to Tom Clements website you can see it in the modern doublecut gallery. it's a "Kim" body shape. I know I recorded a sound clip but would need to get home to post it. mines a fretless if that matters though.

19. That Clement makes my GAS act up BAD. It's a work of art.

How is the black limba? I know it's a pretty stable wood, but how does it sound, and what does it feel like?

20. I can think of several companies that do the Graphite reinforcements in the neck nowadays. Pretty much all of the new American-made Fenders have them, and I know it's available as an option on Warmoth's necks for an additional $65.