1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help buying a PA....

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Nowhereboy, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    I'm currently looking for a decent PA system on a budget, I've recently joined a new band and we have a decent amount of gigs lined up over this coming summer.

The idea behind is that we can get our sound closer to how we want it and also have the possibility of putting on our own events and playing with other bands.

We might only end up micing the kick drum and vocals so Im not to bothered about having loads of Inputs.

I've seen a couple things on Andertons that look decent and have ok reviews.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/complete...32/yamaha-stagepas-500-portable-pa-system.asp

http://www.andertons.co.uk/complete...-15a-38-mackie-profx8-complete-pa-package.asp

What do you guys think? Also we plan on financing the equipment and paying 15 quid or so each a month for it, probably not the best idea in the world but its the only way we can afford it currently :bassist:

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Mackie thumps suck. Check the SPL level they don't get very loud at all. Neither system is really good enough to gig with. Might be fine for rehearsal. Don't forget you will need mics,stands, cables, monitors etc before you will have a gig ready PA.

3. NickFromNY

NickFromNY Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I use Mackie Thumps as floor monitors and they are just fine. Dont know if i would trust them as mains though. Get a mackie powered head, 2 mains and 2 wedges to start and grow from there. I gigged for 10 years with that set up and it was fine.

4. buy used. watch for deals. Get a small mixer, a couple of power amps, some 15" mains and a couple of 12" monitors. You can get sm58's for $40 ea

5. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Well 10 years ago Mackie actually made something worth owning.:D Now days not so much.

6. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    I have a feeling the gear you guys would recommend is going to cost way out of our current budget.

I might sack off the idea of a full pa for now and just get something for the vocals. We all play with big cabs anyway so it wouldn't be to much of an issue. Is their anything out their that would do gig worthy vocals for a reasonable price?

7. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Both the systems you listed earlier are basically vocal only PAs. My advice would be to rent or hire a soundman for gigs until you get an idea of what you would need.

8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp

Sep 18, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Agreed. Micing the kick drum through such a system is pretty worthless IMHO.

I use Behringer speakers (two B212D tops with a single B1500D subwoofer), which of course everyone says are crap. Have worked fine for 3 gigs so far, 4th this Sat. I have a Mackie ProFX16 mixer, which also has been fine so far.

9. You should be able to get a pocket mixer for about $100 or so and then see about picking up a used JBL Eon or Eon G2. If the name Eon is followed by any number besides G2 or nothing, it's basically trash.
    They had a nice product there and ruined it. On the original EON the fins across the ports where actually metal heatsinks. On the current one they are plastic and serve no purpose other than looks.

10. boxersbrewing

boxersbrewing

Dec 11, 2009
    tbirdsp, you like the Behringer set up. I am looking at a pair of B300 (300watt powered) 15's. They are used but I am worried that that might not be enough power. My band is only interested in playing small to medium sized gigs. 2 guitars, bass, 3 singers and drums. Just wondering if I should pull the trigger or buy some newer Behringer stuff.