1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help - Can't get plastic off pickguard!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bassamatic, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I scored an old, neglected Peavey Fury bass with a broken pickguard. Peavey Parts is fantastic and had a replacement in stock, and only $20!! Just arrived today, so I have been refurbishing the bass.

Almost done - time to peel off the plastic film - and - it is so old that the film will not peel off. the plastic is brittle and the adhesive is hard.

I have to scrape it bit by tiny bit with my fingernail - it took 30 mins to do about 3 sq. inches. Heat made it worse. GooGone dissolved the adhesive remnant, but won't loosen the plastic.

Any ideas other than ordering a brand new one for 3x the price?

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Soak with WD-40 overnight.

3. Bassamatic

Thank you - I will try that ASAP. Thank God for WD-40.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I know you said heat made it worse, but not sure what you used. I've used a hair dryer on gently heat... softened it up quite nicely. Also lighter fluid is a useful solvent for loosening up adhesives.

5. Bassamatic

I used a hair dryer - thinking it would soften the plastic and adhesive, but it seems to make the 20 year-old plastic and glue even harder.

Lighter fluid would be a good solvent, thanks. I wonder if I can even find it for sale these days!

6. VicKevlar

VicKevlar

Apr 15, 2012
    Ronsonol lighter fluid in the yellow bottle? Try Walgreens.

7. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Wally World will have lighter fluid. If the PG ends up having a haze on it try some of the stuff that's used for modern plastic headlight covers to make them clear again. Worked pretty well for me on an old PG. Don't remember the brand name since I used a buddy's.

mech

8. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    This stuff is just, plain amazing ...

p84695z.

9. Bassamatic

Thanks - I will be trying it all.

The WD-40 does not seem to be working. The plastic film prevents the solvents from getting to the adhesive. I'll try the lighter fluid later today.

10. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Work from the edges to the inside.

11. +1

12. Bassamatic

Good News - Before heading out for lighter fluid, I wiped off the WD-40 and started scraping with my fingernail a bit - and lo and behold - it started coming off in big pieces!

Hallelujah and thanks for all your advice.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Glad it worked. It was an S.W.A.G.

14. Patience and goo b gone,try home depot