Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, Carvin LB76 draining battery problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Derhak1, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Derhak1

Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    Burlington,VT
    Hey bass players,
    I've got a Carvin LB76 that is draining batteries practically overnight. I have another Carvin that did this and was easily fixed when I saw that the ground wire to the battery had broken off at one of the points were it was soldered. I don't see any loose or broken connections on this one though. Is there anything else that can cause this? Any diagnosis tips? I would really like to avoid sending it to Carvin if possible, and I don't have a local shop that I have ever needed to take a bass to, so I don't know how easily they could fix this. If there are any electronics gurus out there, I could really use your help fixing my baby. Thanks-Alex

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

First question. You are leaving the cord unplugged when the bass is not in use, right?

3. Derhak1

Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    Burlington,VT
    Yes, cord unplugged always.

4. Derhak1

Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    Burlington,VT
    Nobody?

5. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    There's an extra contact on the turn-off type jacks, one that opens or separates when you pull the plug out. Perhaps it's slightly bent (or loose), letting it touch the other contact even without the plug in?

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Maybe nothing's broken, but there might be a short in there somewhere - check to see if there's any bare wire touching other bare wire.

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I would just completely replace the jack. That will solve your problem.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You might make sure that the bass has a TRS jack installed, and not a mono jack. I have a Hamer 12 string bass that came from the factory with a mono jack, and it would run down the battery in a few days.

Since this is more of a repair related issue, I am moving it to our Setup forum.

9. Derhak1

Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    Burlington,VT
    The jack has 2 prongs. 1 all metal, 1 metal with a plastic piece that rests on the cord when plugged in. Should these touch when not plugged in?