help choosing amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by impalanut, Jul 11, 2005.

1. impalanut

Jul 8, 2005
    New to bass, I have been playing (?) about 6 weeks on a borrowed bass and am taking lessons. I tried a number of basses over the last 2 weeks and got a good deal on a Schecter Stilletto Elite 4. Now I am looking for an amp. I am currently listening to my bass via headphones through a Digitech BP 200. I am leaning toward playing classic rock and oldies but I am sure I will expand my horizons as I get better. I am not locked into combo or seperaters. I need something primarily for practice at home and some garage band playing with kids who play with lots of volume. Any input appreciated. There are so many choices and there is a limited amount of stores that have bass amps in stock to try out.
  2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  3. impalanut

Jul 8, 2005
    I have a good instructor (as far as I can tell) Good mix of technique and theory. Budget is flexible. I would like to keep it under $400-500 and I don't mind used equipment to get the most bang for the buck. I just don't want to outgrow it too quickly.
  4. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    You can get a good used Ashdown combo for around $500.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i respectfully disagree with the la-10 suggestion. yuck.

check out the sticky at the top of this forum that says "check here before asking.......FAQ..........". within that you'll find links to a bunch of threads that cover a lot of takes on the subject. While you won't find a lot of brand-specific info in there, it will give you a lot of input on general things to look for.

I'd check out the "reality check" thread, the "combo" thread and whatever other ones jump out at you.

just be aware that we all have different experiences, gigging situations, and tastes. Some will tell you that you need a huge rig, others will tell you there's no need for anything but a small combo. (hint - the truth is somewhere in between - ;) ). Likewise, we all have our favorite brands, and ones that we don't particularly like. FWIW, i like a lot of the stuff swr makes and use some to this day, but IMO, the la-10 is far too small and lacks tone and volume. you'll likely outgrow it extremly rapidly and be better served by saving up a bit more for something that will last you a year or two.
  6. Check out

Click on bass cabs

My vote is for the Ashdown mag300 and sb112. Perfect for your current situation and it will be a long time before you outgrow it. If you do you can add another cab later on.
  7. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

Couldnt agree more. Get the MAG and an 8ohm SB112.... that'd be around $400... and you could add another cab when you need it to get the full power from the Ashdown head. 300Watts into 2 cabs (whatever those cabs may be) is usually enough for Small gigs, and possible medium gigs, depending on what cabs you have.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What would we do without Avatar?? Hehehe :D

9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    hahaha! I know! I feel like an idiot sometimes....

"I've got about $500, and I need a setup to--"

"Hey, I'm new to TB, and I'm really wondering if there's a way to get a rig loud enough for medium gigs. I've got about $1000--"

"Hi! I really dont know much about amps--"
  10. I'd check out some of the 100watt plus combo amps available from the various brands, they seem to be good value for money and will be sufficient for garage band practice and small gigs - like say a small fender bassman/Rumble, one of the ampeg combos or ashdown etc.
  11. toug

Apr 12, 2005
    Rhode Island
    I completely agree with what is being said about Avatar. I have been playing for about two years. First year I just played alone, and then I got into a band. I just had a crappy Crate combo amp that I didn't even bring to band practice, I borrowed my drummers. I recently got a SWR Workingman4004 + Avatar 212, which will be a really nice setup for me since we play at small gigs. This would basically fit into your price range, and while it's not the setup for everyone it's a pretty good setup for me.

However, one thing that I haven't stumbled across in this thread is that you don't have to spend what you chose as your "max." You say you have been playing for 6 weeks or so. Why buy $500 in equipment when you aren't completely sure of the style or tone you desire? Hell, I don't want to be the pessimist here, but what if you aren't even playing in 2 months? I would definiately say research a 60-100W combo amp just for yourself at home.

Tell the garage kids to turn it down if 100W can't keep up with them :smug: