Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help converting music files.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Indi86, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Ok so I have a bit of a dilemma. I need to convert my band's new EP from .aac to .mp3, because when I originally put the files on my computer, I transfered them into my ipod, meaning that got retagged as .aac.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my files back, un-encypted, to .mp3

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Please explain a little more thoroughly, because as far as I can tell you've either put the wrong files back onto your iPod or maybe you didn't actually convert them to .mp3 in the first place. iTunes can convert between pretty much ever file format, so you must have messed up somewhere. :meh:

3. Nah see what happened is that the original copy of the CD got given away after I had ripped the files from it into itunes, which at the time was set to import in .aac format for my ipod. So I was stuck with no originals in .mp3 and no way to convert out of .aac back to .mp3 so I could upload them. I have since found a copy of the CD with the original .mp3's on it.

I would still like to know if it's even possible though to get files back out of .aac and into .mp3. AAC seems to be encryted.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    iTunes

iTunes, .AAC is only encrypted if you are buying copy protected .aac files from the iTunes music store. Otherwise iTunes will convert from .aac to .mp3 very easily. You could always decompress to .aif or .wav then recompress to .mp3 if it's still giving you guff, but in all my experience, I've been able to convert .aac to .mp3 simply by changing the importing preference from .aac to .mp3, selecting the file I want to convert and doing it. :meh:

additionally, you do know the iPod supports .mp3 right? you don't need .aac to import on your iPod, .aac just typically sounds better.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Simple! Burn the .AAC files to an audio cd. Take that cd and rip as .mp3 files.

6. Aha. For the strangest reason though, it was reading MY music as copy-protected. Possibly the most annoying thing ever.