1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP! How to protect signatures on a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sowder, Sep 3, 2008.

1. sowder

sowder Guest

Mar 1, 2008
    So I got one of my dreams fulfilled recently. All 3 members of Rush signed my Jazz. Problem is...I don't want to just show it off, I want to play it! I know there has to be somebody out there...a luthier or refinisher who has experience with this. They signed it using one of those silver felt tip signature pens right on the body. And yes the body was already fully finished and lacquered. My thought was either a clear protective hobbyist decal sealed over the sigs, or possibly a light spray on clearcoat that wouldn't run the sigs and be invisible to the finished body. Any suggestions?

Thanks folks!

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Why would you still want to play it?!??!?!?!?! Frame and mount it and buy another bass.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Stew-Mac sells clear adhesive pickguard material in sheets. I would buy a sheet, cut out a piece to cover the signatures and put it over them.

Lacquer or other sprays have solvents in them - the sigs may run. I'd cover them with an impermeable layer - the clear pickguard material.

4. SAP

SAP

Aug 14, 2008
    WiscONsin
    I used a clear piece of packaging tape. Probably not the best solution but I didn't care.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 on the frame and hang it plan, but I can see wanting to play it, too. A clear acrylic spray might work, but I'd be afraid to do anything, myself. Tricky.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, why don't you start some more ******* threads about it, too?

7. sowder

sowder Guest

Mar 1, 2008
    LOL...so what part was ******** in your mind? The part where you proactively contacted me to sell something? Or the part where you changed your mind after all those PM's?

:confused:

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    clear laquer over the signatures perhaps?

9. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    like another poster said, i would be worried about the laquer making the sigs run. i would go with the pickguard material idea.

10. You may also want to hunt down a sports or collectibles place, they seem to be good at protecting autographs.

11. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

You CAN spray lacquer over lacquer soluble ink... but if you aren't experienced in the technique, get someone else to do it for you.
    I would be more concerned about the lacquer adhering to the poly finished bass. Poly is tough and it would probably need to be scuff sanded to get good adhesion.

Sounds like you are talking about a silver Sharpie? Buy one and do some testing on another surface.

Alternatively, I bought an LCD screen protector from this company
    http://www.zagg.com/ and stuck it over the sig, but it was just one on a pickguard. They don't sell it in big sheets that would probably cover all 3. I just used it because I was already familiar with how tough (and clear and easy to remove) the stuff really is. No problems so far, anyway.

Don't jump the gun and play it before you find a solution. Skin oil WILL smear silver Sharpie! Take my word. :eyebrow:

12. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    my advice is that you apply coats of laqcuer over the signed area. that should protect it well.
    if you use paint on laqcuer, you shouldnt have to worry about the sigs running.

13. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Perhaps a clear static sticker (no adhesive)? I think I saw a bass for sale here recently that had one, about the size of a piece of paper, on the back of the bass to protect it from belt buckle rash. Someone must sell blank ones....

14. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Use the clear covering. I bought some at Office Depot to cover The Ventures autographs on my '66 Mosrite Ventures bass. It works real good. :cool: