Help identify a song I heard (Jethro Tull?)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by consectaneus, Jul 30, 2022.

1. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    It is sometimes frustrating to hear something on the radio that catches my ear, and no mention who it is.

I only caught the end, but it was really cool. It ends with an extended bass and flute only solo.

Sound familiar to anyone?

edit: maybe this should be in the Recordings forum, but it's really the bass player I wanted to know more than anything else.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY

Eli_Kyiv, BEADG63, DJ Bebop and 19 others like this.
  3. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Wow, that was quick! Thank you, Gorn! :thumbsup:

I'm going to be studying this one!

DJ Bebop, timmus, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They're my all time favorite band. Listen to the whole album if you have the time. It's excellent.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Classic riff and the double stop solo is just amazing.

DJ Bebop, DeepHz, Spidey2112 and 2 others like this.
  6. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    That part grabbed me, too! That's when I knew I had to hear the whole thing. On Gorn's suggestion, I have been listening to the whole album. JT is a band I mostly have a "radio friendly" knowledge of. Of course I'm delighted to find "Living In The Past" on the album as well. Such an achievement for a song with an unusual time signature to chart so high. But it's still catchy as heck.

Their heavier bluesy numbers sound a little like Cream, but tighter and more interesting! Digging it.

DJ Bebop, Spidey2112 and bholder like this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah exactly, their earlier heavy blues were really something - made me think of "A New Day Yesterday" from "Standup" (also the orignal album of Bouree', fwiw). Also "Nothing Is Easy" and "We Used To Know". Great stuff.

DJ Bebop and DeepHz like this.
  8. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Just finished reading "Original Jethro Tull: The Glory Years . 1968 - 1980".
    Great read!

9. timmus

timmus JS Bach is really the ultimate bass player Supporting Member

JT is in my top 10 favorite bands…they were a trip to watch live in the 70s….quite literally :cool:

DJ Bebop, kentiki, CryingBass and 4 others like this.
  10. DTRN

DTRN

May 10, 2019
    Twin Cities, MN
    I saw them in Chicago, Oct 1979. Of note: I was no fan of Tull back then but a friend took me to see them. He was an absolute nut about JT. After the concert, I was hopelessly hooked and have loved them ever since. Amazing musicians.

DJ Bebop and timmus like this.
  11. GazzBass

GazzBass

Apr 20, 2008
    Japan
    Glenn Cornnick was an amazing player. There is a real magic to that era of the band that they lost when he left. His playing really drives those early records.

12. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    Indeed. I saw them in late '71/early '72 in Oakland. The Eagles opened in their first west coast appearance. What a show. My second ever concert.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. Low Commotion

Low Commotion Supporting Member

Jethro Tull was the first concert that I went to. I was a huge fan (and still am) and I convinced a friend who had a car to drive us to see them in Buffalo NY in ‘72. I’ve probably seen them 5-6 times over the years.

I believe Glenn Cornick played bass on this track. The band has always had great bass players.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses

hotrodjohn and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado

DJ Bebop likes this.
  17. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

This is just a silly bit of lip-(finger?)synching from back in that time period, but it gives you an indication of how he might have played it live…

Another TV appearence, which I remember seeing back then, was similar but edited out the solo(of course there’s nothing like a bass solo to make people change the channel).

I couldn’t find the visual from Murray Lerner’s festival film, but here Glenn gets down and dirty…

consectaneus and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. Michedelic

Aah, that must have been when they ripped off “We Used To Know” for “Hotel California”.

Eli_Kyiv and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. timmus

timmus JS Bach is really the ultimate bass player Supporting Member

Believe it or not, this is probably my favorite album by them...and Bourée absolutely smokes on this album.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  20. Michedelic

Yeah, but that ain’t Glenn.

DJ Bebop and timmus like this.