Help identify this vintage bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mudhooker, May 8, 2019.

1. mudhooker

mudhooker

May 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, NY
    My gut says vintage 60s or 70s Japanese made.. but what? Hard to find another like it online.

Attached Files:

2. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Whatever it was - it's been modded. (neck-hugger mud-bucker pu, pg, bridge, and most likely the electronics. Bridge pu looks original but may have been moved to its current location.

design, Reedt2000 and mudhooker like this.
  3. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Probably some modified Teisco

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  4. mudhooker

mudhooker

May 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, NY
    After looking more I also think it looks modified. Im going to check it out soon, hoping it works at least.

5. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    If it plays/sounds good and it's cheap - and you get it, post bigger/clearer pics and I probably can determine what it 'was'.

mudhooker likes this.
  6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This tempo bass has a very similar body shape. It has the two screws by the bridge too for the cover. The headstock isn't a match. I don't think there is any question the one you're looking at is modded. Pretty sure @JIO hit the nail on the head.
    s-l400.jpg

mudhooker and JIO like this.
  7. mudhooker

mudhooker

May 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, NY
    if it passes the test I'll post more pics, thanks!

Reedt2000 and JIO like this.
  8. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Think that’s from the early Ibanez factory. For the right price, I’d hit it.

mudhooker likes this.
  9. mudhooker

mudhooker

May 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, NY
    Thanks for the response. Crossing my fingers the mods were done ok. I'll just have to see when i see it

Reedt2000 likes this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I just scanned my "History of Japanese Electric Guitars" and saw the guitar version of that bass - good eye. Similar, but not the one.

Misfit Wookiee and Reedt2000 like this.
  11. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Be sure to check intonation, the new bridge seems like it could be further from the neck than the original might have been. Maybe that was an improvement, maybe not...

12. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    For me anyway, if what I end up wanting is a price I've determined worth whatever it is (including mods done cleanly, correctly and has made it a better bass) - it's worth it.

mudhooker likes this.
  13. mudhooker

mudhooker

May 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, NY
    This is something I am worried about.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  14. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Here's an old Hagstrom:

[​IMG]

15. mudhooker

mudhooker

May 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, NY
    I agree. For me as long as the neck isnt a mess and frets arent worn out then I can work with it. And if the bridge is in the right place..

16. mudhooker

mudhooker

May 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, NY
    After looking more I believe the following. Of course there are a few assumptions. Originally a 1 pickup bass. The neck pickup was moved to bridge spot, and the original bridge cover had to be removed for the pickup to fit. Some kind of "mudbucker" was put in neck spot. Pickguard was reshaped (you can see some unused pickguard screw holes). And its blurry, but maybe some mini switches put in and must had knobs and pots added for 2nd pickup. The fact that is has a strap and tuner makes me feel better, like someone actually played and tuned it!

zubrycky and Reedt2000 like this.
  17. Sure looks a lot like my 1965 Kent Newport bass. It has been modd kent bass.jpg ed, and not in a good way.

Robert B, zubrycky and Reedt2000 like this.
  18. Reedt2000

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I think that's it. Everything matches, logo is attached to the surface of the headstock so might have come off (or this one was unbranded).

19. mudhooker

mudhooker

May 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, NY
    That looks like the same neck, but the body is different. The one in question isnt as offset/angular as yours on the bottom bout.. and the top horn is more Pbass and yours is more Jag.

20. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Closer, but this body is more "contoured" than the one posted. Pu and neck/tuners look the same, but not the body shape. Upper horn is smaller & less curverd and no 'hook' on the lower horn.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021