1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help identifying some pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dan Horboychuk, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Dan Horboychuk

Dan Horboychuk

May 13, 2003
    Poughkeepsie NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Aguilar Amps, DR Strings, Bartolini Electronics, Creation Audio Labs
  2. Dan Horboychuk

Dan Horboychuk

May 13, 2003
    Poughkeepsie NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Aguilar Amps, DR Strings, Bartolini Electronics, Creation Audio Labs
    The p bass appears to look like a Bill Lawrence pickup but I'm not sure how to confirm.....

3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I agree.

mech

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    i'd guess the JB pickup is a DiMarzio, although I think all their leads are different colors. Maybe that's an old one.

Edit: The leads are different colors in the pic of the bottom.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The Jazz looks like a DiMarzio Model J, and the Precision looks like a DiMarzio Split P.

6. Dan Horboychuk

Dan Horboychuk

May 13, 2003
    Poughkeepsie NY
    I have only seen the Dimarzio as a dual blade pickup where this is a single, is the model j a 4 wire pickup?

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It might be a Schaller JBX also. Looks like a DiMarzio, but so does the Schaller, which is a copy.

http://schaller-electronic.com/hp31327/JBX-_Neck_.htm

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i would've guessed old dimarzio model J too, but the wire colors make me wonder; traditional dimarzio wire colors are red hot, green ground, and black & white together; it looks like the black and white wires are coming out the right side of the pickup and are the start and end of the right-side coil. if so, then the colors are different.

i'd also have guessed an old bill lawrence P, but most old strat versions of these i've seen had ridiculously thin enamel-insulated solid wire leads, barely bigger than the coil wire.

maybe they're both schaller copies?

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Whether the JB pickup takes a SAE or metric allen wrench might be a clue.