Help Identifying this bass - Romanian? Gliga? Something else?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ZainyBass, Jan 4, 2022.

1. ZainyBass

ZainyBass

Mar 28, 2020
    New York City
    Hello Talkbass DB community and Happy New Year! I'm wondering if some/any of you can help me identify this bass. I've owned it for over nine years and never knew what it was (no label inside) although i was told it was probably Romanian and also that it was made in 2006, or around that time.

I recently came across a post with photos of a Romanian Gliga bass that had a similar look to this, so then I started reading more posts about Gliga and Romanian basses and this one seems to share a lot of characteristics of those basses. The top seems a little thicker than usual and although I don't find the bass very heavy, it seems to have somewhat heavy (sturdy?) back bracing.

Some unusual characteristics it has are low/sloping shoulders, like a French style bass, which makes it easy to get into higher positions. The finish is somewhat antiqued (this didn't come out so well in the photos, but can be seen a little better on the closeups). It also has an aluminum tailpiece which may not be original, but I think it contributes to it's rather bright, clear "ping" of a sound that I like for jazz playing. And it also has a decent bowing sound. It's not nearly as well built or rich sounding as my German instrument, but it's decent for what it is. The bridge and adjusters are definitely not original. P1100754.JPG P1100766.JPG P1100774.JPG P1100781.JPG P1100784.JPG P1100794.JPG P1100804.JPG P1100814.JPG

Some photos are attached below, and I could send more if it will help. if anyone has a good idea of what this is, it would be nice to know. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Fretless55 likes this.
  2. Certainly a nice looking instrument !

Chris Fitzgerald and ZainyBass like this.
  3. ZainyBass

ZainyBass

Mar 28, 2020
    New York City
    Thanks, Louis

It is similar indeed, but some marked differences are the finish, the tuners and the shape of mine is smaller/narrower up top. Still, its similar enough that I wonder if what I have is a Gliga. One one of the threads I read here had a posting from someone who posted that they had seen or worked on a lot of unlabeled Gliga basses, so maybe I'll hear from them or Mikman from Greece, who seems to have extensive knowledge of Romanian instruments. Thanks for your input.

4. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    You have a PM.

ZainyBass likes this.
  5. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    That looks a lot like my Romanian flat back, which I have always believed was probably a Gliga.

What is on the label of yours?

6. ZainyBass

ZainyBass

Mar 28, 2020
    New York City
    i guess I didn’t mention this in my original post, but there is no label, hence my posting on here to try and find out what it is. Does yours have a label?

7. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    The heavy back bracing is really, and unfortunately, characteristic of a lot of Romanian flatbacks. "Why use a third of a tree when we can use half a tree?" seems to be the philosophy. I think this often dampens the sound unnecessarily.

Another tell tale sign it's probably Romanian is the long and narrow "ramp" leading up to the button on the back. I've seldom seen this elsewhere on new instruments, and frequently seen it on Romanian flatbacks.

You mentioned that your tuners were different from the bass that Louis posted the link to. That's just a reflection of how much money someone wanted to spend. Yours are definitely bargain basement tuners, IMO not really worthy of the nice looking bass that you have!

Cheers,

Paul

Fretless55 likes this.
  8. Scott Freeman

Scott Freeman Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2018
    Alexandria, VA
    If the top ever has to come off, your luthier can remove the excess bracing. It made a huge difference in the sound of my Romanian flatback.

9. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Yeah, it says "Euro Antique, Twin City Music Co. Providence RI." In other words they bought a dozen basses and the maker was happy to label them with anything they wanted.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022