1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help! list me any suitable String packs for 35'' scale basses!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by albertforns, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Hi people!

I've just had a deception when trying to install my brand new d'addario XL prosteels strings to my Cirrus 6str 35'', and see that both the B and the E string are'nt long enough to get to the nut with the whole wound, despite these strings are called "XL"...:scowl: I'm bothered that if I buy some other string pack from other manufacturer, happens the same.:confused:

So guys I'd like you to know examples of string packs that you know suitable for a 35'' basses, and also if you want, to explain if you would recomend me for their good sound etc... :bassist:The string changing is a trauma for me!

Thank you all and sorry for my spelling!! :hyper:

2. Albert search the products at bassstringsonline.com and you'll find dozens of different brands who have long scale and extra long scale sets for 35" scale basses. There's too many to mention.

If you're unsure send an email to the owner Jason and ask for some suggestions. He's an experienced pro bassist himself and no one I know can give you better guidance, lower prices, and better service than he can. Register with him as a TB member for special member pricing.

Quite a few of us have made him out "go to" guy. Good Luck.

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    XL is nothing to do with the size. D'Addario do sell 'super long' sets though.

Bassstringsonline.com has strings groped by scale length, e.g. 35"-36"+. The best thing to do is to measure your string length from ball end to nut and e-mail Jason with what type of string you're looking for.

4. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Circle K strings will definitely be long enough.

5. Thnak you all! I was looking for something I could buy on the local shop, where in fact you have not much to choose. Good option that web! very useful, thanks

6. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Exactly. Albert, you are not the first to be confused with D'addarios "XL" designation, and won't be the last. I'd suggest anything DR, and if you like bright, try some HighBeams, or for more pronounced mids, FatBeams would be killer on your Cirrus.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    If you know the length from ball end to but on your instrument it will help fine tune your available options...

9. jaibeau

jaibeau my fingers hurt Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    DALLAS
    Endorsing Artist:MIKE LULL / ERNIE BALL
    i wasted lots of money with this one....

Ernie Ball SUPER LONG SCALE fit my 35" scales B-G.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  12. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Many 35" instruments can use 37" winding length strings which are considered long scale to many manufactures.

13. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Of all the brands I've tried, I've found ernieball group IIIs to be the longest, and they're not even listed as for 35 scale instruments, just regular long scale. I've used them on a jazz and les paul both 35 scale basses.

14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Quality ain't cheap and a lot of other brands are expensive too but deliver good strings that go along for a long time :)

15. Inferis22

Inferis22

May 11, 2010
    D'Addario makes ProSteels and standard Nickel Wounds in 'extra long scale' sets. I usually alternate between ProSteels and the Cirrus brand strings. You can always find good deals on 'super long scale' or 'extra long scale' sets of strings on amazon. ProSteels are GREAT for the classic piano tone. Also,for more aggressive styles like rock and metal,they can really make your bass growl.

16. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I want to second the suggestion that DR FatBeams will sound awesome on a Cirrus, and will be plenty long. I had them on my Cirrus 5er, and they sounded beautifully balanced.