Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help locating luthier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JBasstorius, May 7, 2004.

1. JBasstorius

JBasstorius

Apr 30, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    Hey kids I need some help, i had done some research and located dave parr (maker of alien ant farm's tye zamora's bass) I had my estimate done and everything but I suddenly lost the phone number and the site with the infomation is gone. Can enyone help me find him again, so I can get my custom done already?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I thought Fender built Tye's bass

3. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Fender made his current bass. But the one before it, that was a single cutaway, was Dave Parr.

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I thought the SC in the MJ video was Ken Lawrence?

I thought the Fender was a copy of sorts of the Parr he owned...........

5. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm probably mistaken. I've never follow AAF that closely.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    They had some good song, but I haven't either. I believe in the Video that's what I remember seeing. I think the Fender is a copy of sorts from his original Parr, which is comical considering the copy write Fender is trying to pass on a few of their body style's.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the Parr and Fender, but that was my understanding.

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    When he was a teenager he got Dave Parr to make him a neck for a bass, and maybe do the electronics (?) and Tye shaped and sanded the body etc. That's the bass he uses in the Movies video, he uses something different in the MJ cover video...

There was a little article about him in Bass Player a couple of years back.

8. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Dave Parr's phone # from 2002
    714 744 7750

Based on a conversation with Tye Zamore at last January's NAMM show, both the Parr and new Fender were inspired by
    Jerzy Drozd Basses.

I can that a little , but the Washburn Taurus is much more a rip.

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    You might try Jimmy Foster. He was in New Orleans and did an excellent job on repairing a broken off Thunderbird machine head(completely off thanks to 2 drunks at a club). He now does custom work on the safer, north shore from New Orleans( http://www.fosterguitars.com/index1.htm ). His page shows guitars BUT I'd call and discuss it with him.

10. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    yeah BB... the bass in smooth criminal was a ken lawrence.