1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Looking at amps for my Hofner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by V63, Mar 26, 2009.

1. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Hello,

This is my first post so please be kind to a newbie. I just bought a Hofner Vintage 63 bass and I am looking for an amp and cab. I'm really looking for the kind of sound that McCartney has on his Live At The Cavern show.

If you listen to "Bluejean Bop", as an example, he has really nice smooth acoustic-ish sound. (Use headphones if listening on your computer) On his "Run Devil Run" CD the same song (and I assume the same Hofner) the bass is more "electric" for lack of a better term. It's more powerful sounding but not the tone I'm looking for. I know the sound is most probably from it being DI and then mixed in the studio but I like to get that sound from an amp. I think he's using a Mesa Boogie 2x15 and 400+ on stage but don't think that that is where the sound is coming from -Or is it? So my questions are: The best way to get this kind sound/tone from an amp and cab? Brands? Tubes? Solid State? Digital? Analogue? Speaker size? Pre-Amps? Compression? EQ settings? Effects? I've got around $2500 to spend and would like descent wattage. After looking at all kinds of gear (Markbass, Ashdown, Mesa Boogie, Traynor, Ampeg, GK) I'm more confused then ever. Help! Please be particular. Thanks.

2. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm at work and can't really listen to the clips. Besides that, I'm a complete doofus when it comes to these technical things but I will suggest you try out an Orange rig. I tried a vintage hofner w/ flats thru an O200 + O115 and it provided (to my ears) a really fat and thumpy Macca sound. If you go used, you should arrive within your budget.

P.S. FWIW, I liked the tone so much I bought the rig for myself, albeit saddly, I don't have a hofner. :crying:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think for Paul's tone, the bass is more important than the amp. I think you could cop those tones through any amp if you have a Hofner.

4. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Thanks Pedro for responding. I've never tried any Orange stuff. I thought it was more a guitar thing. Where would you set the knobs?

5. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Any amp? That opens too many doors! I'm drowning in a sea of possibilities as it is. Oh the confusion! I'm really looking for very particular information to try and help me narrow my choices. Not so much a Paul sound (Though I'd be very happy with a Sgt. Pepper tone) as the sound of a double bass when you standing beside one and you just let a note go as opposed to the way they sound on recordings or if someone is thwacking away at it. (Too percussive, too little note) Recommended heads with recommended settings on particular cab configurations would be greatly appreciated. The You Tube clip is really the type of thing I'm looking for. I appreciate your, any other replies

6. Try an old Selmer Treble & Bass 50 through a Selmer Goliath 18" cab.

That's what we did in the 60's :)

7. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    In the early days he ran a VOX Foundation with two bottoms. That was before they had the Super Beatle units. I think the Super Beatle is a better rig. I also had a Dual Foundation about 1972 and didn't like it at all. BOB

8. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    Oh yeah! They have a rig just like that brand new still in shrink wrap at the corner store where I buy cigarettes! At least at 50 watts the crappy sound would only offend people in a 3 ft radius! :) I've never even seen 18" speakers anywhere. LOL Seriously though, do you think larger speakers are more the thing?

9. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    I'm really looking for a modern 300-500 watt package.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL, but you'd be surprised, bro. I did a show in front of 500 people last night using stage volume from a B-15N and single 15" (25w).

11. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'd start with everything pointing straight up and tweak from there.

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    I'm going to have to look you up the next time I come back to Florida and catch your act.

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I used a Hofner Beatle Bass for a while in the early '80's. They're a thumpin' little bass when played with a light touch through any half decent amp.

One thing though. Their hollow body and fairly microphonic pickups (on the one I had anyway) = feedback when played at close proximity to a loud bass amp.

Your best bet would be to try it through many different amps until you find the one which you like.

For a reference point in big tone, you may wish to include the Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout in your search.

14. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    If you think I can get the sound I want, be heard through the guitarist I play with (30w amp not too bad) and an over loud drummer (holy crap drums are loud!) I'd gladly go smaller. It'd save me some Mu-La. My better half has some curious notions about where our money should go. 300-500 seemed reasonable with out overkill. Thanks for responding to my thread. I'm thankful for any advice I can get. Do you think 15s are the way to go? 1 or 2? Ported or not? What about a 4x10? Heads?

15. V63

V63

Sep 13, 2008
    Alberta Canada
    I have tried the Walkabout. It sounded very good and you can't complain about the size. It is definitely in the pool. My problem is I've tried so many heads and cabs at different times and locations that my head is swimming. Maybe I'm just not good enough at tweaking all the various EQs and knobs to find the sound I want (with a salesman always hanging over my shoulder). I haven't found my particular holy grail, just the right sound, the momma bear of sound if you will. That's why I'm asking for help. I'm looking for particular gear, or at least particular settings on semi-particular gear to get a single particular sound.

16. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    One word of advice, try all you can, and run everything flat. If it sounds good to you without adding a bunch of eq to it, it'll sound good otherwise, too. Don't get too caught up in the eq section of an amp, just play your bass through it, and see what you think. Whatever you get, a 2x15 cab would be my choice. Old school tone. Concentrate on all tube amps, (SVT cl, etc), but don't dismiss anything until you've played your bass through it. good luck.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    The vids linked to have Paul playing through a Mesa Boogie 400+ head and matching 2x15"... not sure why it would be there other than to use it. I have seen him playing through Boogie stuff other times too

18. When did Paul start playing rockabilly? :eyebrow: :rollno:

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Good question...Paul started playing rockabilly in the mid-1950's.

20. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    +1 on starting with the EQ flat-->volume turned up to the desired level-->EQ tweaked to compensate for adverse room acoustics & competition from other instruments.

--------

OP, perhaps renting-to-buy a few of the rigs (light-weight matching brand heads & cabs are a good starting point) which you are considering (for a rehearsal or gig each) would allow you to assess your long-term bass amp needs more objectively.

There's nothing like playing a rig in a band to find out what it is really made of.

Many bricks & mortar shops will allow serious customers to try-before-they-buy. (These retailers not only understand the psychology of G.A.S., they tend to accommodate it! :D)