1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help make my website better (please!)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, Apr 1, 2009.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    So I'm in the process of designing a website that pimps myself as a studio/hired-gun bassist, and I think I've arrived at a final design. However, maybe just because I'm indecisive, I think the color schemes need tweaking or I could do the layout differently, or... something. I dunno. Could you guys pretty-please take a look and let me have some feedback? Also, if there's anything else I can add or subtract from the page to look 'more professional', that'd be awesome!

Here's the mockup so far:
    www.leewhalen.net/leewhalen-net.jpg

:bassist:
    --Lee

2. SpanishDave

SpanishDave

Mar 3, 2009
    Vigo Spain
    looks good

3. I too can be pretty indecisive about design but the site looks good. Clean, professional and I like the colors. Your picture size and name are about the right size; not too small but not big and gaudy. With the other headings not filled in it is tough to critique in depth.

4. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    dude,

check this out: www.bandzoogle.com

i don't know if you are using this but is the best way to make a musicians website up and running in no time.

you can forward your domain and they can host your website for like $20/month. It has a lot of tools to build it, and reports, analytics, all that stuff. i used to have a webpage there and it was really easy to setup and use.

5. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Yeah, I looked at Bandzoogle. A couple things bug me about it:
    1. You don't 'own' your website, you lease the design from them. So if I wanted to go in and do nitty-gritty changes (I'm pretty technical when it comes to website design stuff) I'm not able to.

2. You don't 'buy', you 'subscribe'. I work at a webhosting company, so I get all the webspace and bandwidth I can handle, and then some, for free. If they had a service where I could pay them to design the initial site and then just ship me the XHTML so its a one-time fee up front and I could host it on my own servers, they'd be golden. I'd rather just host it myself so I can keep track of all the stats and tweak the site to my heart's content. :p

6. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    yes you own your website if you paid for it. you pay for their hosting, and you can do all kinds of changes without ever touching a line of code, or learn html or php or all of those things.
    but to each his own. i tried it and it worked for me