Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me Choose a Top

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Aug 12, 2005.

1. I Have a Mouse 30 on order from Rob Allen :hyper:

He just sent me two pic's of two very different spalted maple tops to chose from. I think I know which one I want, but this is my first custom bass and do appreciate the input from guys & gals

So which one would you pick.

1. [​IMG]
    or
    2.[​IMG]

I also phtochoped one of the pictures on his web site to make a template. There will also be an F-hole in this bass.

1. [​IMG]
    or
    2. [​IMG]

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    #1... the more linear grain will look great with the F hole IMO.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    #1 it's the most unique looking spalt I've seen.

EDIT: PIC #1

4. Hey,..... I just noticed that link #1 & #2 are opposite from the thumbnails.

From now on please let me know if you mean link or pic #1 or #2

Thanks

Tplyon,
    I agree with the more linear grain and the F hole.

5. the thumbnail on the left

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Thumbnail on the left. I think that the contrast is really nice, and the grain gives it a wholer look in general. Neither of them are incredibly amazing spalting, but I do think they are very nice. I wouldnt chose one over the other because of the rarity factor (since neither are very rare. I myself, however, am getting a custom with a nice burl top with blue splating. Even though it MIGHT not look the best - i think it will - im including the blue spalting because its so weird. mind you, its not buckeye burl, so the blue spalting is a lot rarer).
    Whatever you get its going to look beautiful. Good luck chosing, its not going to be easy.
    Consider yourself lucky that you dont have to chose which part of a single piece of wood you want to be the top. Its harder because even though you consider the whole piece your baby, you still have to kill a bunch of it.

7. Thumbnail on the left as well. It just looks sweet! Although I don;t think you can go wrong with the woods. It is a Rob Allen after all!

8. thumb on the right.

9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1 for Right

10. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    +1 for the thumbnail on the right, I dont like the way the grain on the other ones curves in the opposite direction to the body, not good design if you dont mind me saying...

11. Option 1 floats my boat.

:bassist:

12. The left thumbnail gets my vote for looks, but I think the right would look better with the F hole option. Either way you're getting a great bass.

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Thumb on the right.

14. #1 on the right ;)

15. +1. It was the F hole that changed my mind. I think it will cut up the other pattern too much and you'll lose it. Too bad; that one's reallyl unique. Any chance of not doing the F hole? Are you planning a pickguard? Don't cover it up!

16. DeanG

DeanG

Jul 30, 2005
    I'd say the left looks better until you mentioned the F hole.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

18. Both tops look nice, but I'd choose the one on the left if given the opportunity to do so. Actually, I wish it was me who had a Rob Allen Mouse on order.
    Please keep posting updates, with lots of pictures, of the construction of your bass!

19. I think the one on the right will look nicer with the f-hole in it.

20. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    #2, the left side thumbnail is certainly the one *YOU* should choose.

{have Rob call me when you've given up on #1.... :D )