Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me Choose - Cubase SX or Cakewalk Home Studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JazzBassvb, Jan 10, 2005.

1. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hi all,

I meant Cubase SE, not SX. My fault

I'm looking at software right now and I'm wondering if I can have some user experience and some advice.

I would like to get software that would allow me to record my bass, add in MIDI parts (preferably using Staff/Music notation, not a music keyboard or piano roll), printout sheet music and do drum lines.

I think Home Studio can do all of this, but I'm not sure. I wasn't able to find really much to answer these questions with Cubase.

I would prefer to not spend more than $100 on this, but I probably could go up to another $50 if I needed to.

I need to also get a sound card and that may be another topic later on.

Thanks very much!
    JB

2. I've never used Home Studio but I do own Cubase SX. It looks as though your budget has already made your decision for you :) SX is hundreds of dollars more than what you're alloted.

- Andrew

3. I'm pretty sure that Home Studio will allow you to do all this (and more). I've been a big fan of Cakewalk stuff for a while - now on Sonar 4. Have you tried downloading demo versions and having a play with it - see how you like it. There are really very few differences between the packages now (entry level versus entry level) so it comes down to which one you feel most comfortable using day to day. Demo versions are about the only way to check that out.

All the best,
    Mike

4. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Andrew, yeah you're right. I meant Cubase SE, not SX. Thanks for pointing that out. So many versions! :rollno: :rollno:

I changed my original post.
    JB

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cubase, no question. stability and ease of use.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    For your budget, I'd say Tracktion, except that I don't know about the notation capability (I never use it that way). IMO has a great ratio of ease-of-use to power.

7. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    Cubase can be upgraded to higher versions for only the difference in price and is cross platform. It also is more stable and easier to use.

8. I'd pick the cakewalk software and grab yourself a maudio audiophile 24/96 for a sound card, decent quality and nice low price. I've tried out various versions of software, and I think cubase is great, but only in the full featured, professional version, i think the sonar products are more geared for the home user and are easier to use imho but a little less versatile.

9. Stable? Hahaha. The truth about Cubase is that it was originally written for the old Atari SE, then ported to the Mac platform, THEN ported over to Windows...so what you have is a third-generation software translation in the end. I've used Cubase in the past and it's slow and crashed too much on me. If you're on a Mac, Cubase is actually not bad at all.

If you're using Windows, Cakewalk is the best bet. It's even easier than Cubase and more flexible. Best of all, Cakewalk was always meant to work with the Windows code, so it's far more stable than Cubase ever can be.

I currently use Sonar 4 and have used Cakewalk software for nearly 10 years (ever since Cakewalk Pro 3.01)...

10. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Thanks very much everyone thus far!

Doh! I forgot to mention what OS I'm running. It's Windows XP Pro w/ SP2.

I've narrowed my card choice I think to the M-Audio Audiophilie 24/96 and the Delta 44.

I know how to hook up my bass to the Delta 44, but I'm unclear what sort of cable I need for the Audiophilie. Is this one of the cables used for mics?

Thanks,
    JB

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    old and misleading ^^ I could talk about how much Cakewalk 8 sucked, I used to use it myself.

I would recommend checking out the user forums for each product. Different folks have different tolerances for things, see what bugs you about each by reading other users posts.

Cakewalk forum - http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/default.asp

Cubase forum - http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/

12. +1

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    +2

Even the Atari model is incorrect (ST not SE).

14. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Thanks for the recommendation on reading the forums. I'll be doing that and spending some time going over everything.

Thanks very much for the info!
    JB