Help me choose one. Etude, Cecilio or Palatino

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mintseta, Oct 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mintseta

mintseta

Nov 6, 2010
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hello veterans. I am a new comer wants to join the world of upright bass. If you must choose one between these three, which one would you recommend? Show me some insight plz.

Etude BASS-ICS String Bass Outfit
    Etude BASS-ICS String Bass Outfit

Cecilio CDB-200 Size 3/4 Flamed Upright Double Bass w/Adjustable Bridge
    https://www.amazon.com/Cecilio-CDB-...d-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

Palatino VB-004-3/4 Crack Resistant Bass, 3/4 Size
    https://www.amazon.com/Palatino-VB-...d-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop

2. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Please see this link: Beginners Guide to Buying a Double Bass | TalkBass.com

In short, none of these three items are considered actual instruments. They're what's commonly known as BSOs, or Bass Shaped Objects. They're about as musical as a cardboard guitar.

This is not snobbery, but a physical fact of instrument construction. BSOs are expensive disappointments meant to capitalize on ignorance. They are an unfortunate distraction, and often the first hazard a beginning player must avoid.

Reputable (as in actual) new instruments begin at about $1500.

cdavisshannon, Sam Sherry and ColdEye like this.
  3. mintseta

mintseta

Nov 6, 2010
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Thanks man. Point taken.

4. Shen SB-80.

5. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    @mintseta .. I'm in the same boat you are. I've been on slab for about 6 years, looking towards my first upright near the end of the year, or after the new year.

Definitely, as @KUNGfuSHERIFF suggested and check out the Shens, and Upton Standard Laminate
    Good luck!

6. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    What they said. Just made the same decision. Shen SB-80 is a nice sounding choice-- I actually prefer the SB-88. Actually, I prefer blondes, but I digress. Look for used ones within driving distance. Rent one first if you can. Williams Fine Violins in Nashville, if you are close enough, is awesome and has a great rental program too. If not, look for others around you. Play multiple basses. Be prepared to fall in love with one outside your price range. Get the big girl in your price range that calls to you and play it every day. Realize that this is your first and probably not your last bass.

Hope that helps. Enjoy!

Super Iridium likes this.
  7. Super Iridium

Super Iridium

Jan 21, 2013
    I am a new player (switched over from BG), and I have a Shen. They are excellent basses and well worth the money, in my opinion. Also upright basses are not like bass guitars--you are really much better off if you can find one to rent or buy from a local shop, where they will perform a competent set up for you.

cdavisshannon and BassJuju like this.
  8. cdavisshannon

cdavisshannon

Jun 11, 2014
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    employee Gollihur Music
    +1 for a Shen and try to buy from an actual string shop as opposed to Amazon/Samash/Guitar Center. A set up in the upright bass world is hundreds of dollars that you'll be tacking onto the price to have a playable instrument otherwise.

Super Iridium likes this.