1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP ME DECIDE ON A NEW BASS!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dillonwalsh, Sep 21, 2008.

1. dillonwalsh

dillonwalsh

Apr 12, 2006
    hi, sorry if this is a common question. but i have been playing bass for about 6 years now and own four different basses, none of them exceptionally great to play (2 ashtons, a maestro and a probe) the probe is what i use, pretty keen to get something better....anyway these basses are thanks to me being a bit of a tight arse and not wanting to spend too much money :D /not having much money. however i now have got cash on my side and am wanting to get a good bass that i will hopefully use forever. influenced by bassist like cliff burton, geezer butler, lemmy just to name a few. im prepared to spend around 1200 second hand or new i don't mind. rickenbacker is an obvious choice but am sorta keen to hear what other types of basses guys recommend. thanks, :bassist:

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    This one is for sale ;)

1996_USA_BCRich_Innovator.

3. dillonwalsh

dillonwalsh

Apr 12, 2006
    actually quite attractive, but in BLACK.

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    You would love the Lakland 55-02 or it's 4 string brother.

5. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cliff and Lemmy played/play Ricks.

Just saying. ;)

6. Geddy Claypool

Geddy Claypool SX J-75/Traben Neo 4 -> SVT-CL/SVT-810E

Aug 3, 2008
    Maryland
    I think if I were you, I would sell all of my current basses and use all the money to buy 1 or 2 really awesome workhorse basses. No sense in having something around if you're not going to use it.

7. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments

How about this one?

Front2.

Body.

8. fuzzurin

fuzzurin

Apr 2, 2008
    Spector.

9. tescott

tescott

May 6, 2008
    Lakland Skylines are great! Someone already mentioned the 55-02 or 4-02, but I would also recommend the Bob Glaub :)

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rickenbacker lacks versatility and doesn't strike me as a bass that will carry you through style transitions you'll likely experience with time. I'd say get the best Jazz-type bass you can afford, whether it's a Fender, Lakland, Sadowsky, Lull or whatever.

BTW, I've never heard of a Probe (or the other two, for that matter). Did you score that off some aliens in a parking lot?

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    EBMM

12. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    If you want safe bet, get a Fender or Lakland P or J.

But if want other modern sound i say warwick and Musicman

Again, try the bass before buy. Our suggestion is only opinion and personal preference but your ear tells you what you want

13. dillonwalsh

dillonwalsh

Apr 12, 2006
    thanks for you input so far guys. as for selling my basses im not going to do that as i said ive already got money so that isnt a issue. has anyone had a go on a epiphone embassy, not exactly top end but was having a play on one today and it seemed quite nice. played good with the lower end notes but when i got up higher it seemed a bit cheap and lifeless. any ideas why, strings?

14. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I really like the Musicman Sterling for the sound for what you say you like. That dual coil in the bridge gets MEAN!!! Some of the models also have a single coil on the neck. I think that you might be able to finagle your way into one new at your price range, definitely used. That is a bass you could play forever, and (not to dis anyone) I really think that Ricks tend to be exceptionally one dimensional tone-wise. My friend has a Rick. It has two modes: 1) Lemmy; 2) Vehement Lemmy.

Not that there's anything wrong with that:bassist:

15. dillonwalsh

dillonwalsh

Apr 12, 2006
    ahh the musicman. wish they didnt have that egg shaped pickguard, ehhhh

16. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    You got 3-4 lower end basses already. So don't get the epiphone one. Might as well get a top end bass and you will be happy.

17. dillonwalsh

dillonwalsh

Apr 12, 2006
    yup, go gibson if i wanna go there. ahh can someone tell me what that black bass someone put up. i like it. does it come in a 4 string?

18. Are U in AUSTRALIA????? re- ASHTON bass!! Pls fill out yr profile & we can help U better!

19. I have two Alembic Essence basses, a 4 and a 5, and they put a smile on my face. You should try one if you can. Top quality construction (hand-made in CA) support, and a nice owner's forum online. You may be able to get a 10 - 15 y/o used 4 string in good shape for $1200 - 1400, but the 5 may be a bit more cash - like 1300 - 1500. I recently played an older US-made Spector NS that sounded great, and they are also highly regarded by everyone. If I was in the market, I'd consider that one too.

My 2 cents about you quest: Get something you really like for the music you love to play; but remember nothing is forever. Your taste and style may change in say, 10 years; and so you should get something that suits you then. The nice thing about stuff is, well, it's just stuff. You use it, buy it, sell it - all part of the fun.

20. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I know. Musicman's tend to have that doofy looking pickguard. I have seen a couple (read 3) in stores that didn't have any pickguard at all. It took me a second to realize what I was looking at.