1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bwv1013, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Stingray 5 HH

31 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Bongo 6

22 vote(s)
    24.7%
  3. American Deluxe Jazz 5

36 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    Ladies and lads of talkbass, I would like your opinion. I am in the market for another instrument, my final "serious" purchase before I get married in a few months. I've narrowed my choices down to 3:

EBMM Stingray 5 HH: I have 5 string 'ray with the single humbucker. my first serious bass and still my favorite. cherry or vintage burst would be great.

Bongo 6: I have a bongo 5, the 18v preamp is awesome, my most powerful instrument. Having a 6 string version haunts my dreams.

Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5: I have a MIM 4 string jazz, great little instrument. I've heard good things about the new MIA's and the one I tried was like butter (amber finish with tort guard). This would also be the cheapest of the three.

I'm primarily a church player with the occasional rock or jazz gig. Let me know what you think...

2. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I really can't help you decide. These decisions are best left up to what you want and like in a bass. Try before you buy if you can.

My #1 bass is my SR5 single H. Love everything about it. Mine is very light for an SR5. Just a smidge over 9lbs. The neck and spacing is so comfortable.

Oddly enough, I just picked up a used 2006 Fender AmDlx Jazz V with the Amber finish, Alder downsized body. I've posted a couple pics in other threads and in an effort to avoid being "one of those guys" will not post it again. :D I can't get over how nice this bass is and why there isn't more "ballywho" about them on here. Great bass. Different from the SR5, but in all the best ways.

FWIW, I voted AmDlx V since it appears you have the MM thing covered.

Good luck...

3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I voted for the AD Jazz V. You already have a Bongo and a 'Ray. I know you also have a MIM Jazz, but the AD Jazz is a few cuts above the MIM and will give you a great, modern Jazz tone. The other two choices would likely give you more of what you already have, but the Jazz will be a tool in the toolbox that you don't currently have.

BTW, congrats on having such a fun problem as deciding between these three.

4. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Stingray 5HH all the way

5. Low Key

Low Key Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Shoot, I voted before I read your full post. Shame on me. I have a Bongo 5 HH and a Stingray 5 H. I used to own a Fender American Jazz Deluxe 4.

If I were going for another bass, I would do the Fender or Bongo 6. I think a Stingray 5 HH would be redundant with your two other EBMM's.

With two active 5-string basses, I kind of crave having a passive Am. Fender Jazz. The Am. Deluxe was a little thin for me on the low end and low mid growl. It was a great bass, but the passive Fenders - to me - have a much deeper/richer foundation in their tone. I hear the build quality on the American models are just awesome.

6. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    great, now I may need to add a fourth choice... :cool:

7. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    The Stingray has a better low B but I still voted for the Fender. For my personal taste you can't go wrong with a J bass - it has more usable tones, for me. Plus, you already have a Stingray.

8. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I prefer 6 strings so I voted for the Bongo. They are all great basses though. The Bongo 6 is really attractive to me for some reason, even though I have always thought Bongo's were butt ugly.

9. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Of the three, were I going to buy I'd choose the Bongo.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would chose between the Bongo and Jazz.

I would lean towards the Jazz as a good used MIA Jazz V can be found in the $600-700range but a Bongo 6 would be $1700-1800 new as there aren't mant used ones out there.

11. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Wow, so far the results could not be any closer. I voted Stingray HH5, but the American Deluxe 5 is a close second.

12. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    wow, it really is almost a dead heat. keep the votes coming!

13. If it were me I would get the Bongo 6 since I don't have a 6 string... Since you already have a Bongo my vote goes to the jazz, but its real close! Just gotta decide, killer jazz or that 6th string..

Good luck!

Christian

14. **American Deluxe Jazz 5** Esp. this year.. it will be marked as a "Vintage" year in Fenders manufacturing dates.

15. +1.
    I accidentally voted before I read and I voted for SR 5 HH, but yeah Fender or Bongo 6. Your choice, my opinion. :)