1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me decide!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whitefuneral, Jan 15, 2012.

1. So I've been looking for a fuzz pedal for about a month now and I've come down to 3 choices.

Iron ether oxide: it seems to go crazy aswell as the octave filter like fluctuations I believe.

Way Huge swolen pickle: its controllable but has the capacity to go far.

And the D*A*M M-25 meathead deluxe:
    It's smooth rich and you can still hear the bass note behind the high mids.

Your opinions you guys?

2. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I'd say Swollen Pickle for the versatility.

I use a Electroharmonix Bass Blogger (Fuzz & mild drive in one) - it's very versatile for bass a well.

3. Yeah true on versatility, I also play a bit of the geetar so would be useful.

4. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    I've always heard good things about the Swollen Pickle.

Real question in my mind is how well does it sound alongside the drummer going full pelt?

5. An example (audio or youtube) of what type of Fuzz tone you are after is helpful. What is the rest of your gear that is going to interact with this pedal?

Carry on.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have been agonizing over whether to get a Swollen Pickle or the TAFM for quite awhile now. I think I have decided to get the TAFM if I can.

There, now you have another option to agonize over. lol

7. Against a drummer? I think easy, I play heavy metal so if he has the double kick going should sound good.

The sound I'd like it probably an out of control fuzz with a small envelope filter, if you would, fluctuation behind it.
    I use a passive 5 string schecter through a small line six amp. My mids sit at high treble high bass no mids if that helps.

Oh gawd D: haha

8. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    Sorry wasn't very clear. Some guitar fuzz effects can lack low end punch and the drums can drown them out. I tend to favor a more mid heavy setup, and I don't play metal, so YMMV with your EQ. I ended up using the bass big muff with other effects tagged on separately.

9. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Way Huge Swollen Pickle FTW: trust me esp with the internal trimpots it can be VERY versatile in regards to a muff-based fuzz

10. dwh87

dwh87

Jul 31, 2007
    Cornwall
    I have the mkII Swollen Pickle and it is really good. Lots of room to tweak and built like a tank.

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    MUSKET