Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me find 6 string pups!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ralphdaddy, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    As the title implies gents I'm in search of pups, and perhaps a pre as well, to go into my Rogue 6 string. The stock pups are nothing special..... Regardless, they need to be 4 inches long and 3/4 inches wide, both pups same size. Let's hear your options!!! Thanks everyone.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Have you checked the Bartolini catalog? It is online and has the dimensions of all of their pups.

3. Are you sure about those dimensions? Thats pretty short for 6 string pups. The dimensions you have sound like 5 string jazz pups.

Josh D

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    +1. That would be VERY narrow string spacing!

5. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm pretty sure... I'll recheck my dimensions but that's what my ruler told me last night. Then again I was punchy from no sleep so who knows. The spacing is fairly narrow, compared to my Warwick it feels expansive and free but it's not certainly 19 mm spacing. Do they not make 6 string pups like that? Perhaps that's why I can't hear the A or D strings very wel..... Oh well, I'll check again, thanks a lot guys!!

6. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Who looks stupid in this house?? THIS GUY!!!! Well, as you gentlemen so illustriously pointed out that string spacing would be awfully narrow so... they're 4.5 inches long and about 3/4 of an inch wide. Guess I was punchier than I thought, or just plain stupid. Both are plausible explanations. Thanks for settin me straight guys.

7. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I should be more specific... I need something to kind of darken up the tone a bit as it's pretty bright. I checked the Bartolini website but it doesn't mention single coil 6 string pups yet bestbassgear.com sells them, but lists the incorrect dimensions for these pups. So I'm at a loss. Would the Bart single coils plus NTMB pre give me a more bottom heavy tone?

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have no experience with 6 string pickups, but if bart don't have a matching size then it sounds like Rogue are using their own size.
    Which could cause you issues, as you might have to get custom made pickups (which cost more than the bass itself!)

9. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I feared as much. Well that's no option hahaha, I'm not going to bother going custom, it's not worth that. Someone has to make pups which are 4.5 inches long, it can't be that unusual can it? Actually EMG makes a set which is 4.5 inches long, but I'm not sure how wide they are. Is a shade under 3/4 of an inch standard?

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Once you get out of the world of 4 string P and J pups, there aren't too many standards for sizes.
    EMG and Bartolini do soapbars which fit each others routes. The ones you list aren't one of those sizes Beyond that, it can be tough going. There are mfrs who use their own pickups for which there is no easy aftermarket replacement - Peavey for one.
    You might just have to order the closest fit you can get and do some more routing work. Bartolini do a narrow X5 soapbar which looks like it'll be the closest fit - just over .75" wide, just about 4.7" long
    You're probably still looking at at least $130 for a set.

11. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah, I figured the pups would cost me at least that much, I'll pay it I don't mind honestly but I wanted to avoid routing and all that it entails since it's expensive to have someone do and the bass is so cheap. But the stock pups are just simply unacceptable so I gotta do something. I'll email EMG and Bartolini and see what they both say, thanks David for your help I appreciate it.

12. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    One more question David if you have the time. I'm looking into the EMG's with their active circuit and I'm curious if you know whether the "brilliance" EMG's are noted can be dialed out for a more massive bottom end. I know you had EMG's in your old Thumb so I figured you'd know. I just don't want to be stuck with a bass that is always continually bright since I use Hi Beams which are already bright and haven't really found any other string I like as well save the Fat Beams. Thanks again.

13. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Nevermind, the EMG's are 1.5" wide so I'd have to route the body to put them in, let's hope someone else has an option. Otherwise what the hell, I'll give it a shot or pay some character to do the deed for me.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It can be. As to how much natural 'brilliance' is there depends on the woods in the bass. In the thumb, it gave it a nice bit of top end sparkle. In a bright jazz bass, they've sounded unbearably bright to me on occassion.

15. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Even if you were gonna avoid it, you may want to shoot Carey Nordstrand an email. He makes KILLER pups, and they really ain't that expesive for custom jobs. Hey, s'worth a shot...

www.nordstrandguitars.com

16. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks David, again I appreciate your experience and advice. I'm afraid the EMG's would just be too bright in this particular bass. I thought about Carey Nordstrand but wasn't sure if he would consider doing something like this, or that he even made six string pups although I guess I should have known since I think I've seen six strings made by him. I'll look into it, thanks Stevious.

17. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Looks like I'll have to route the body to get anything else inside of there, thanks again for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    BTW, I have had pickup routing done in the past, and if you shop around, I think you should be able to get it done for around $100. If you really like the feel of the bass, then this might be worth it. If not, you could sell it and look for a used Yamaha or something.

19. Ralphdaddy

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yeah I know it'll cost me $100, I was gonna have it done to a P-bass I was gonna buy a few months back and add a J at the bridge but it didn't sound like a good plan to me. Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate it. Not sure if it's worth it to me with this bass, this bass will prolly go back actually as it's got two massive gouges on the upper horn so maybe the next one will be a little better.