1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me get that clank on my new LTD

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by MonMike, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MonMike

MonMike

Jun 19, 2018
    Alright, so first some background. I just bought a LTD B206 SM 6 string bass. I play in a death metal band and use a Korn-esq clanky bass tone when playing metal. I've been playing on a 5-string Ibanez BTB series with a Sansamp RBI as my preamp and a QSC power amp and was able to get exactly the tone I wanted by scooping the mids on the sansamp and leaving the EQ for low and high on the bass itself at 0 (its boost/cut so dead center, not all the way down). I also added a little bit of drive, and kept the presence and blend nearly all the way up. This tone was PERFECT on my 5 string Ibby. I play through either an Ampeg 810 or 210 depending on the venue and usual run DI as well.

However, I have not been able to duplicate (or come close to) that tone on my new LTD 6 string! I figured I would have some work cut out for me, switching from a bass with active pickups to one with passive pickups and an active EQ, but I'm really getting stuck. When I do get a clanky sound out of the new bass, it sounds WAY too distorted and muddy for me. If I simply turn down the drive from there, the tone looses its balls all together.

I am wondering if anyone has advice for getting a clanky tone with this particular bass, or with passive pickups in general. What EQ settings would you recommend on the bass itself and the sansamp? Do I need to rethink my presence and blend settings on the sansamp? The bass has a 3band EQ, which i am not used to, and I have a feeling part of my problem is not having that quite figured out.

A couple of other notes: I will not use a pick. I usually play on the pickup closer to the neck and do a good bit of slapping and popping in addition to fingerstyle. I know you can get more attack using a pick, but i feel it really limits what I can do dynamically with my right hand. Yes, I put on new strings and the action is comfortable for my playing style. Tuning in drop G.

I can get a great clean, warm tone with this bass and my current rig, but I can't figure out the clank! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Take the mid knob on your ltd and turn it all the way off. Then adjust your treble and bass knobs on the bass to taste shouldnt be that drastical different. If you still can get a decent tone then start everything flat on both the sansamp and bass. Then adjust the bass first by ear.then adjust the sansamp for the grit.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  3. I have an LTD B-4e. It has a warmer and woodier sound than many other basses I have owned. You may be trying to get it to go against it's nature.

Research strings and see if there is an option there to add brightness and clank!

4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Lower your action.

5. spaceatl

spaceatl

Jun 22, 2018
    I have a B205SM and I think the stock passive pickups and active EQ are similar to the 206...I could get an adequate tone out of it, but not anything I would call great or even good. If it's distorted for you, it might be the battery is drained...check that as it should be pretty clean. I ran the bass control close to full boost, mid nearly fully cut and a touch of treble added...On the blend, I ran about 70% neck, 30% bridge...something like that...

I changed the electronics to a pair of EMG 40P5s with EMG BQS...The amazing thing is that I have my tone now and the BQS is basically flat all the time. I don't need much correction with the 40P5s...The stock pickups really kinda suck IMO...The Active EQ is just enough to get it sorta in the ballpark, but it's just barely good enough IMO...

GlassToMouth likes this.