1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me get this sound.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KWSmogwai, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Hello all, my first original post, sorry if this isn't the right spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6vZvo7nQuM

My band is covering this song, and I'm trying to figure out what i need to get this tone, sounds like a saw wave, with maybe an octaver? I really don't know, if anyone has any suggestions that could help, I would be much obliged.

Thanks all!

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I could be wrong but to me an octave and a synth wah. Also looks like the pedal board (far left ) has the distinct green of the digitech bass synth wah, but maybe an Akai Deep Imact beside it.

I can come close with the digitech and my mxr Bass Ocatve Deluxe.

3. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Sounds like the bass player is using a Boss SYB5 or similar, and that is being mixed with the original synth bass on the track.

Yes, the original track is a nasty synth bass with a sawtooth waveform and half-open filter that has not much or no envelope control over the cutoff frequency.

You could use a gated fuzz for the main sound, like a Wooly Mammoth or Iron Ether Oxide, then maybe a half open wah, or envelope filter with the sensitivity down to similate the filter. An octave pedal first before the fuzz would give you beef.

4. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    Good point Dirty Duke, it does sound like a BSW.

5. Thanks guys, I've been eying the bsw for a while, might as well break down and get it I suppose, won't break the bank haha