Help Me Identify this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kjduval, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Kjduval

Kjduval

Oct 22, 2011
    This is a Fender .. I have attached pics .. what is throwing me off is the neck pickup, no serial anywhere. Any help would be VERY appreciated!! I know it looks rough, the previous owner spray painted it?!?!?!? I'm attempting to restore ..
    Thanks ahead of time !....

Attached Files:

2. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    What is that? A jazz bass with 4 puckups?

I cant realy identify that but i would definitely take the time to restore that monster.

3. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    I'm no expert but it appears to be a lefty Fender Jazz Bass '62 Reissue that has been modded with a P-bass neck pickup in addition to the original Jazz pickups. The original bridge has also been swapped for what appears to be a "BadAss" bridge.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Looks like someone had an accident with some paint stripper... I'd definitely do a refin on it and fill the route for the added pickup.

5. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Bingo.

6. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Neck precision pickup is not stock. The serial number should be at the base of the neck, back side...with a "Made in Japan" or "Crafted in Japan". If it's not there, it's sort of not relevant as it definitely is a Japanese '62 Reissue. It looks like that black mystical mark on the 3rd picture is where the serial number would be.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My guess is a heavily modified '96 MIJ '62 RI Jazz Bass - left handed.

Sorry. I accidentally deleted my original post trying to edit it.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    If that Anniversary sticker on the back is original, then the bass is a '96 model. If that brownish paint can be removed, the original sunburst might still be nice enough not to need to be refinished.

9. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I quoted it above for posterity's sake:)

10. Kjduval

Kjduval

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks everyone!! A couple notes back to you and thank you!! So what you see is me spending five minutes removing the spray paint. Finish underneath is great and I can get it to look great as well. Generally it is fine underneath so far. I inspected the wiring carefully and the route. The wiring is original as far as i can tell ... and the route is machined. I have a cnc machine but i doubt a mod shop has one i dont really know Yes that is a badass bridge
    As I said no serial or what appears to be a serial anywhere. What about the five holes where the neck bolts on? That seems strange to me. Why does the neck only have fender on it? Much appreciated??

11. Kjduval

Kjduval

Oct 22, 2011
    I defitiley will

12. Nobody

Nobody Inactive

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    kindling

OOD likes this.
  13. Kjduval

Kjduval

Oct 22, 2011
    What makes you say " definitely" an mij? Not sure what black mystical mark you mean. Ther is nothing rubbed away or worn away in any place on the areas where the serial or mij mark would be. The black smudge on the neck area on the body Is just a smudged stamp area

14. Kjduval

Kjduval

Oct 22, 2011
    I just removed the paint off the back of the neck. You got it!! Mij serial thanks!!!!!!

15. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Are those 70s tuners? What does the little badge say on the back of the headstock?

16. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Those are the tuners that come stock. The badge is a 50th anniversary.

17. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    No problem! If there wasn't a serial, you can tell what it is from the neck pocket and neck butt stamps. Japanese models have very unique stamps outlining exactly what they are. MIM and USA Fenders don't ever have the same.

JB62 = Jazz Bass, 62 Reissue

18. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    The Badass is aftermarket.

The neck only has "Fender" because that's how they made the lefties. Since they can't print logos backward they have to go the opposite way on a lefty...and Fender seems to find unique approaches to that issue.

As for the 5 holes, who knows. One might be a factory thing. I've seen MIM bodies with 10 or 12 holes in the pocket.

19. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    The the addition of the neck P-pickup perhaps was meant to recall what Jack Casady did to his Jazz bass in the late sixties. Here's a close-up from the Monterey festival:
    JackCasadyMonterey1967.jpg

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021