1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me pick a song!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by BBPbassman, Apr 19, 2009.

1. BBPbassman

BBPbassman

Mar 29, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    Ok, so here's the story. I just started playing the upright bass for a jazz class at school (not orchestra) and one of the assignments was to pick a song, learn it, and play it excellently. So I happily picked the song which I thought was cool and started to try to play it.....problem is, I slowly started realizing the song was waaaaaayy too hard for my level and now there is only two days until I have to show my work and well, I am freaking out!

SO, basically, I now need to pick an easy-to-play song (not ridiculously easy mind!) that I can learn in about two days. But I only just started listening to jazz and I really do not know enough songs to be able to pick the right one. Any suggestions?

2. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Well, this isn't jazz, but: "The Jolly Dutchman."

3. BBPbassman

BBPbassman

Mar 29, 2009
    Well, it kinda has to be jazz, but thanks for replying. It doesnt have to be something ridiculously basic though, I do sort of have some sort of skill.

4. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    Take Five-The Dave Brubeck Quartet

5. What're saying you have to learn the melody? If that's the case, then "Now's The Time" by Charlie Parker might be do-able. I'm sure there are some other blues-riff oriented heads that are pretty simple. "Freddie Freeloader" by Miles Davis springs to mind, as does "Blue Trane" by John Coltrane.

You might also want to consider the standards "Autumn Leaves" or "All the Things You Are."

6. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    days of wine and roses
    my favorite things
    lady bird
    green dolphin street
    footprints
    blue bossa
    girl from ipanema

all easily workable in a short amount of time

7. A simple 12 bar blues would work best, IMO.
    Try Google and You-Tube....."Blues in the Closet" (also known as "Collard Greens and Black-Eyed Peas") by the great jazz bassist Oscar Petttiford. Easy and simple, all done in the first-half position.

8. one note samba? No just kidding, I'm with Paul, pick a simple blues.

9. Cool, Jason. Don't tell him about the bridge though. :eek:

10. John Goldsby

John Goldsby Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Bassist @ WDR Big Band Cologne, Teaching at Conservatorium Maastricht, NL
    What Paul said . . .