1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me pick my P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grumpy_dog666, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Simple. My budget limits me to:

1. A MIJ with maybe upgraded pickups
    2. A MIA Highway 1
    3. A MIM Hoppus bass

Yes I know the hoppus bass is a jazz body, but it sounds like a p

2. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I'd go with either option 1 or 2. Try a few out and see what you think.

3. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    My choice would be 2 due to the nitro finish which will let the wood vibrate and age better. Go P bass!

4. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Get a used MIA. Late 90s..before the S1 switch.

5. I replaced the pickups and added Badass bridge. I am happy with the bass, but it has a terrible dead spot at the seventh fret only on the G string. It sounds great with the exception of the D above middle C. I understand this problem is not consistent among basses, but I've got it bad.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I second this option, or any used MIA Fender for that matter.

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Are you flexible on the brand?

8. thanks guys - MIA all the way eh.....

Dave - i am flexible......what are you thinking?

9. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    i had a hoppus not worth the price it is just a mim with duncans and string through

u can get a stock MIM for 550 , basslines for 65 , and a gotoh 201 for 45 thats 660$ and a new hoppus is like 1050 now i think and it would play just the same or better than the hoppus and well look better plus u have the choice of a maple board

anyways dont go the hoppus way is all i am saying lol

10. Id still probably get a rosewood finger board

11. damn. Lots of mij. Not much MIA in aus. Not cheap anyway

12. If your in the 3000 post code of austalia I suggest

http://www.basscentre.com.au/

It down in park street. I love the range they have there and I think they can order in MIJ basses for you... If your after a P I suggest the classic 50's Precision (only cause I'm GASing for one bad). I think its just a bit more than the HW1.

13. DaveyG67

DaveyG67

Apr 4, 2009
    Sacramento
    I have 3 CIJ '70's RI P-basses & a '65 RI CIJ Jazz that are as good or better than any US Fender I have played or owned... These were all purchased on ebay and are Japanese Fenders that were made for the Japanese market (not for US export)... there IS a difference.

14. yeh - i buy from the bass center usually.....also go to Real Guitars in Glen Iris, thats where i saw the MIJ P-Basses......

will shop around tomorrow

15. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    What about the new Squier 60's Vibe?

$349 and a Great-well made Bass. I purchased one a couple weeks ago..WOW!!!! :smug: Very Impressed. Overseas look very tempting. Seeing Fender prices have jumped 20-30%.

16. dunno why - just lookin for straight fender......

i'd look at Lakland, Sadowsky or even a nash, but probably priced too high

17. actually - throw a Bob Glaub in the mix.....lakland.......

then what would you pick?

18. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I totally agree. At least try one of these just for the heck of it. You may not like the Sonic Blue, but these sound and play great.

If you get a good one. It's nice to pick from a few rather than order blind online. Although I will say that I have noticed way more variation in quality with the Squier VM series than the CV series.

I got a CV P thinking that I had a spare Bart CB precision pickup in the shop to throw in it. The Bart is still in the drawer. The Squier 60's CV sounds great as is. I even like the stock strings, which is a shocker to me.

19. will go try one tomorrow then. Will hopefully try a glaub too.

Are the glaub basses p neck or jazz neck?

20. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Vintage P according to the specs, 1.75"