Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me pick

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sprudellio, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    I'm about to buy some recording gear and I have several options.

1. Used Fostex X-28H - Basically an old 4 track tape recorder - about 150€
    2. Tascam DP 01 FX - this one would be new at about 450€
    3. Save some cash for a used mac (my pc is total crap, that ain't any option) and Mackie Spike

I figure if I go with the 4 track, I'll have money left for nice mics, a compressor and reverb, but I'd still need something to mix down to... probably minidisc, that wouldn't be much of a problem. I could record 4 tracks at once, which would be nice for drums and bounce them together.

If I go with the daw, I'd save on effects and could probably get a better sound than with tape. But I could only record 2 channels at a time. Does that work well with drums? I'd probably need another mixer for drums, wouldn't I?

Spike would probably be the most flexible and best sounding solution, but also the most expensive. And it would also have the limitation of 2 tracks at a time.

What about buying the 4 track and spike later, so I could record drums with 4 tracks and get them on my mac seperately?

Basically... what would you do?

2. pat1151

pat1151

Jun 22, 2004
    Montreal, Quebec
    I'd go with something that has atleast 4 tracks if you are recording drums. Maybe you should save up a bit more and buy some sort of mixer and buy a mac.

3. Does the Fostex allow you to record all 4 channels at once?

4. Dr. D

Dr. D Loaded For Bear

Jan 13, 2005
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Take a look at the roland Boss Br-1200 or even the Br-900........ you wont be sorry.

5. Sprudellio

Sprudellio

Oct 16, 2002
    Germany
    Yes it does.

Those only record 2 tracks at a time... so it's basically like the tascam.

Any advice on those:
    Yamaha AW 16G
    Boss BR 1600
    Zoom MR 1266
    Tascam 2488

They'd be able to track 8 tracks simultaniously.