1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me plan a new (2nd) board!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Today I've decided to create an experimental board out of the effects that I have left over :D
    So far the board is as follows (order = left to right):
    Plan-April72006.

The NS-2 is going to be a new purchase so that I don't have to take my other board apart, and the punch factory is not included yet cus I'm not sure where to put it. I'm thinking that the PF could go before or after the fuzz, and any other sugestions/opinions would be greatly apriciated :D
    I'm also thinking about including the Boss V-Wah I own as a second fuzz/dist/wah thingy. I was thinking about putting it before the wah and maybe switching the EM to after. I could set up the v-wah so that I could have the follow effects order (all switchable on/off):
    Wah (from v-wah) -> Dist/fuzz (also from v-wah) -> wah (Dime CFH) -> Fuzz (EM) :)eek: If I do that then where would I stick the PF :confused: )

/rambling :bag:

On a less confused note I am also thinking about getting a Whammy and putting it before the NS. What other effects would be kinda crazzy and work in this mess??? and where would I put them???

==========================================
    EDIT:
    Messed around with the FX after posting this and came up with a cool setup (so far):
    Plan-April72006-2.

I'm using the Muff'n as a preamp and it's working out quite well and I use the volume for a suedo-bowed type effect that the verb really makes quite ominous. The setup for the PW-10 is as follows:
    Code:
    Manual Mode:
     - Wah Type = Uni-Vibe
     - Intesity = Max
     - Drive = Min

Memory #1 (Red):
     - Wah Type = Uni-Vibe
     - Intensity = Max
     - Drive = Max (Unity Level 11 o'clock)
     - Dist Type = Muff Fuzz

Heel Switch = Manual <-> Mem 1
    The PW-10's wah is always on, and the pedal is rocked back to "turn off" the uni-vibe. I can then use the heel switch to turn the fuzz on and off. The great thing is that, with the PW-10 fuzz on and the EM really dirty, I get a kinda cliff burton thing going on with the CFH. But, when I turn the PW-10 fuzz off, the CFH rocked back gives a nice lo-mid-boost that the mid on the EM misses :D

The actual effects path is now:
    Fuzz(PW-10) -> Uni-Vibe -> Wah -> Fuzz/Preamp -> Vol -> Reverb

I'll probably post actual pics and samples in the post your pedalboard thread tomorrow.

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'd say put the Whammy right after the distortion, and the compressor right before it. From what I hear, that's the best way to go :)

-Dash

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ :cool: , I'll try that 1st, though I don't have the whammy...yet :D

As for how I'd record this thing I have done some reasearch and kinda decided on this:
    JDI-34-left-280w.

It's a passive direct box, and I was wondering if anyone can confirm that the pad only effects the XLR out, not the thru jack. In the manual it looks as if the input and thru jacks are hardwired together (if you don't merge them), and that the 2 different pads are later in the electronic stage. The PDF manual is available here: http://www.radialeng.com/JDI-Duplex-user-guide.zip
    The block diagram is on p.17 of the pdf (which is listed as p.15 on the actual page)

Quick Edit: the web page for this thing is: http://www.radialeng.com/di-jdi.htm