help me please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lizard_king_21, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I have a profile p-bass copy. and it has the sort of hum or buzz that stops when i touch the bridge or strings or the metal plate that some previous owner has installed behind the jack. some one suggested that i shield the cavity but i think that as my bass has humbucking pickups and the noise goes away when touching metal, that grounding is my problem and shielding would be a waste of time.

am i right? should i try shielding? if not where should i start to look for the ground problem?

please, please, please, please help that sound is driving me nuts but bass sounds good otherwise

thanks in advance
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    While the bass might have a shielding problem, that's not what's going on here...

...You've got a grounding problem. The bridge should be grounded just like the electronics. Make sure that the wire that runs under the bridge is properly connected. While you're at it, make sure all the electronics are wired sounds like this bass may have been through some creative customizing at the hands of the less than competent.
  3. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Same as above. Grounding issue I would think.
  4. If the noise goes away when you touch the strings or bridge, I'm less inclined to think it's a grounding problem. The bass player is supposed to be part of the circuit. When you touch the strings or bridge the current grounds out through your body.

Does this happen everywhere you go with any amp you plug into? I'd take the bass to a local music store, plug into another amp and see if it still does it.

If so, personally, I'd rip the wiring out, sheild all the cavities and wire it back together using a standard wiring diagram

Or if you're not partial to the bass, sell it and get a new one.