Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me select a bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by damo2576, Aug 13, 2004.

1. damo2576

damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    Hi,

I'm just getting into playing bass and am about to go and check out some basses, hopefully buy one!

Theres so many and I've read so many reviews and stuff that I'm struggling to even form a shortlist. I know I have to go and choose the one that feels and sounds right but I'd really appreciate some suggestions from you guys....

I have £250 to spend and can choose from anything on the following pages...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/prodlist.php?category=Bass+Guitars

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/productlist.asp?ID=27

I'd really appreciate any suggestion on what is turning out to be quite a daunting task..

I'm also worried about what I should do in the shop when they hand me a guitar? I've only been playing 3 days. What am I supposed to do? I could knock out "happy birthday" I got that one nailed :bassist:

Cheers

Damo!

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i'd go with an ibanez gsr200 or a squier jazz bass.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i'd say save ur money for a while so you have a greater selection.

4. damo2576

damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    i could spend more if i wanted....

5. damo2576

damo2576

Aug 9, 2004
    no one like the yamaha rbx 370?

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would check them out and play what you can on them. You will find the one that appeals to you both in looks and feel.

Some will sound better than others and others will have obviously better quality control. You are just gonna have to go out play with them to decide which one is best for you.

You should like the way the bass looks and feel. An instrument that appeals to you in looks and feel will make you want to play it more.

I will say this though. I have seen some pretty bad Squires out there so I would avoid them.

If you want an opinion than I would say the following.

Ibanez GSR200 for an entry level bass. I bought one for my daughter a couple of years ago and it has done well. She still uses it as her back up and she still likes the action and tone.
    Her main bass is a Fender Mexican Jazz now.

That GSR got her started and performed well. I think I paid about $200.00 for it.