1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me understand sealed bass cabs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CFunkPalace, Sep 25, 2008.

1. CFunkPalace

CFunkPalace

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm new to the forum and let me say I've learned a lot in the few days I've been on the site. Now to call on all of your sage like wisdom... here is my predicament. I just started playing bass again, we are starting to get gigs and I want a better rig. Back in the day, circa 2001, I was playing a Ken Smith bass into an Eden WT800 through an Epifani 3x10 cab, which if I remember, that cab was new and exciting back then. As you can tell from my previous gear, I care about quality and I'm willing to pay for the right tone and playability.

Back in the bass saddle again, I'm starting from scratch and I've decided a few things. Fender Mustang Bass: Not being sure I was going to gig with a group ever again I wanted something affordable and I couldn't believe the variety of tone I could get out this thing that cost $580. Markbass... read about it on here and went to check it out. I A/B'd with an Ampeg and Eden, like my old rig, and hands down Little Mark II is for me.

Now for the cab. I was trying out the standard neo 410s and 115s in different combinations and it was all familiar territory after using my Epifani for years. Then I plugged the Little Mark II into Markbass' classic 8x10 cab.... oooohhhhh how I loved it! So I asked the sales guy why it sounded so different. I even tried two 410 cabs stacked that day. He goes on to explain to me that the cab is sealed and the punchy bottom end that I was going gah gah for was attributed to that.

Finally my question: where do I go from here? It appears I like a sealed bass cab... was the sales rep right? If this is the case who's making them other than Markbass? I'm playing in a poppy rock group but I slap often. I'm in love with how tight and punchy the low end was in that cab... and being a really fast bass player (and I like to take solos :bassist:, let the lead guitar player stand there!) I found the notes more articulate through this cab. The sound kept up with me and didn't get muddled. Anyone else out there in love with punchy, tight low end? Are you achieving that with a sealed cab? Are there ported cabs that can get this kind of tone? Bestow upon me your infinite wisdom talkbass community! This is such a great resource! Thanks for reading and having me on the forum.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Markbass CL108 is the most unique sounding 810 out there. You will not get that sound out of any other 810. Its being sealed plus its smaller cab size is why it's more controlled on the bottom. So if you're asking if you can get that sound out of any other cab made, my answer would have to be no.

3. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    yes, he was. i'll try to explain why. (sorry for my english.)

the amount of air in a sealed cab is constant. the air enclosed in the cab has an effect of a spring on the driver cone. this back-propelling spring tension results in a very accurate pulse response of the drivers at low frequencies. in other words, a sealed cab provides a good "mechanical control" over the speaker membrane, which makes it easier to handle for the amp.

4. Eneergy,

There are loads of us who are native-English speakers who would not have explained this as well and succinctly as you have. You have nothing to apologize for!

tewnty_two, Inara and ihixulu like this.
  5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You might try the Berg NV610. It's small and exudes quality and is a favorite of many who like vintage 8x10s.

6. Meandmy74

Meandmy74

Jul 26, 2008
    I use a CL104 as an extension cab with my Markbass 121h combo (LMII drives this). I tried a number of cabs, including the other Markbass 4x10s but as soon as I heard this cabinet I was sold. Exactly as you describe, though I never tried the bigger cabs. Running my j with Lindy Fralin pups, and using a sadowsky outboard pre, and now a VT for some grit when required (thanks to Jimmy for his awesome tone knowledge btw), I have nothing but tight, low punch. And my p just arrived back with Nordstrand np4s on board so tomorrow's rehearsal can't come soon enough!

7. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Try comparing the markbass with the ampeg 810. It is also sealed. It seems to give you a presence and articulation that is unique. I would imagine that the ampeg 810, markbass 810, and berg 610 are different machines entirely, despite them being sealed.

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Almost. What's commonly referred to as 'punch' does not come from the low bass, it comes from the midbass and lower midrange. A sealed cab restricts the motion of the driver cones, which in turn restricts the low bass output while enhancing the midbass and lower midrange. But with all cabs the drivers used as just as important to the overall result as the cabinet design, so you still need to compare different cabs of both sealed and vented design to find the one that suits you best.

9. +++1 !

Bluesy Soul :cool:

10. eff-clef

eff-clef Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    I agree with you about that cab. I just bought one at the Labor Day sale at GC in Towson,MD. I got it for $999.99. I was waiting for the 6x10 version to show up but when that went to $999.99 I had to get it. It is so easy to move by yourself it's crazy! It only weighs 89 lbs. I had been in love with the sound of that cabinet for almost a year. But it was $1499.99, so I couldn't afford it. I've owned an Ampeg SVT 610Hlf for 4 years now and have really enjoyed it but the CL108 is better( it is also 26 lbs. lighter) It is more articulate but not as Hi-Fi. If you can snag one for $1200. or less you should go for it!

11. CFunkPalace

CFunkPalace

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the info! I looked into the Bergantino NV series but I can't find anyone in Portland that carries them to try it out. Eff-Cleff... is the 8x10 Markbass cab really that portable? I kinda of ruled it out but you got me thinking twice. I'm some what limited by my 4 door Corolla... but I just might take a measuring tape to GC tonight! Any other brand recommendations for the closed cab sound? Thanks to everyone for responding... If I were president, I'd create a cabinet of "International Bass Affairs" and put you all in the white house :D

12. Meandmy74

Meandmy74

Jul 26, 2008
    If you were President you could get rid of the Corolla.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A "cabinet".:)

14. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    Thanks guys, you're so kind. :crying: ;) :D

Ampeg used to have a sealed 4/12 cab, but they discontinued the model some years ago. i only read about it, but never tried it. if i remember right, the ampeg 4/12 was quite heavy, too. some 130 lbs.
    then there's the SVT fridge, but that ons is even heavier. :scowl:

if you like the markbass CL108, go for it.

15. eff-clef

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    You should ask the salesmen at Guitar Center if you can try to fit it in your car. The CL108 is only 23 inches wide by 45 inches long(compared to the svt 810's 26 by 48) but it is almost 19 inches deep. It really depends on how wide your doors open up. The weight is so ridiculous(it weighs about the same as most 4x10's) that it will not be a problem. I have a Honda Element so I don't have to deal with side doors. I've played the Berg. NV610 and they share some of the same qualities but the Berg. weighs 11 lbs. more and it has no tweeter. I hope it works out for you. By the way there is a switch on the back that turns the cab into 2 sets of 4x10's @ 8 ohms each. Meaning you could bi-amp or if it is too much for a particular room you could just use half of the cabinet. Good luck!

16. CFunkPalace

CFunkPalace

Sep 23, 2008
    I went to GC and brought a tape measure. Looks like it will fit in the old Corolla. Eff-Cleff, I brought up $999 deal you got the CL108 and the sales dude said he can do that price! I might take the plunge tomorrow. My first gig since 2003 is tomorrow night and what better way to kick off my bass career resurrection: a new 8x10 cab! :hyper:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sweet! That's a much more reasonable price than $1400. Nice cab, but it's priced a little too high for the mass market.

18. eff-clef

May 6, 2007
    Baltimore,Md.
    That's great!!! Keep me posted(by the way my handle is eff-clef, just one f on the clef) feel free to send a message and tell me how you are doing with it.

19. Be sure to tell us all how U go with the MB cab. I wasn't THAT impressed w/ the LMII into a sealed 10" cab-Berg. NV610 & I also tried an Ampeg 810. I mean it sounded GOOD, but I liked it MUCH better thru a sealed 2x15-Berg NV215 & also liked it better thru ported 12" & 15" cabs. Interested to hear how it sounds thru the MB 810CL

20. From what I have read, Avatar also has a sealed option for their cabs. Doubt you could try one first hand, but I plan to buy one soon.