1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help me with a beginner rig

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LucianOsswald, Oct 23, 2018.

1. LucianOsswald

LucianOsswald

Oct 23, 2018
    Osorno
    [Edit: Mod changed title and moved thread]

Well, As you may have seen i need help. Seriously.
    I'm totally new in the Bass; I'm in a school band and I always wanted to learn how to play bass, I've been practicing in my brothers guitar, but, obviously,its not the same.
    So I took the decision of buying a bass guitar by myself. The only problem with this is... the budget.
    Now, I saw a bass guitar, that I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy... so that's why I need your help.
    It's a Chinese (I think) bass guitar by "Yoshioe" , here is the link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07GFHW6D7/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1UK2UBEZPSPB0&psc=1
    Also, I realized that I would probably need an amplifier, so I picked this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049SAEKU/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
    And, last but not least, I know that maybe the cable that comes with the bass, will not be great so I chose this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005PNXT6E/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=A2U51KSM586401&psc=1
    Well. That's it, I don't really know I should buy this, I work only in summer (here in Chile summer falls in december), and I don't get that much money... so, help! I'll probably will have like 180 dollars. (Yeah I have a crappy job), what can I do? I really love music, I hate when people talk trash about the bass guitar, seriously, I have always loved it, since I heard "No necesitamos banderas" by "Los Prisioneros " a pretty awesome Chilean band. Then flea jumped over the window of my musical tastes and Les claypool followed him with Paul McCartney.
    Okay. Maybe I wrote too much, but I've been thinking about this a lot.
    Thanks for your attention guys.
    Pd: I'm sorry for my bad English, it is not my native language so, if something is not well written, make me know.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2018
  2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to bass! I think we all started out with that craving to play, so we know how you feel.

I would NOT get that bass. You get what you pay for, as a rule, and that is really cheap. It's probably going to have all kinds of problems and you'll just get frustrated with it.

If there's a music store you can get to, go to it, talk to the staff, and see what they have that you can afford. They may also have a payment plan to help you, some do.

For the cheapest possible bass that's worth playing, look for an SX. They're made by a Chinese company and are very affordable, but they do use real components and can make great basses. The company that makes them has one dealer per country, but I'm not finding one for Chile - several neighboring countries are listed but the website doesn't seem fully functional, not pulling up contact information - SX Guitars Official WebsiteSX Guitars Official Website. Poke around the web some and you might figure it out. The US dealer is Rondo Music - www.rondomusic.com - but shipping will probably kill you.

The other thing to do is look around for a used bass. Depending on how things are in Chile, you might find someone with an old Squier or something available cheap. There may be a good find in a pawn shop, or if you have a classified ads website, like craigslist in the US, that's a good place to look.

A little practice amp like you listed is fine to start learning, though be aware you'll need a lot more to play in a band that's at all loud. Cords don't matter much as long as they're long enough. Don't forget you'll need a tuner, too, but you can get a smartphone app to tune with if you can't afford to buy one.

3. LucianOsswald

LucianOsswald

Oct 23, 2018
    Osorno
    Thank you so much! I will look for an Sx Bass or something with better quality.
    Thanks!!

hrodbert696 likes this.
  4. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Agree with above. Look for a Squier Affinity, SX, even a used Ibanez GIO if you're lucky... those are great basses for beginners.

The Ibanez amplifier you posted is perfect to start with!

Good luck and welcome to the world of bass!

hrodbert696 and LucianOsswald like this.
  5. LucianOsswald

LucianOsswald

Oct 23, 2018
    Osorno
    Thank you so much.
    I also would Like to know what do you guys think about this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Silvertone-G...ass+guitar&dpPl=1&dpID=41C3BRPVSBL&ref=plSrch
    Or this:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003GWQJUE/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&psc=1
    Also, I'm definitely going to buy that Ibanez amp
    Thank you so much again guys.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020