Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me with a song. I need some ideas.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by refinedbass, Jun 23, 2004.

1. I don't know if this is in the right place or not, but here goes. Last night at my practice we learned a new song by a band called Building 429. It's called "Glory Defined". It's a really cool song and we are planning on implementing it into our P&W sets.

Anyway, last night, when we got finished practicing it, my drummer says that the part right after the intro(bars 5 & 6) he wants me to play a chord type of thing :help: . I just started venturing in this area with my teacher on some jazz tunes, but I have no idea where to really start with this one :confused: . I am looking for some possible chord shapes to get me goin'. Any help is appreciated.

They have the lead sheet on Building 429's website at www.building429.com. It is written in "D", but is actually played in "Db". Every note is a half step down, just in case you're wondering. It would not let me put the lead sheet or the song on here b/c the song is too large and the lead sheet is a PDF file. I have them on my computer and will send them to you if you need to see what I'm talking about. Thanks a bunch everybody.

2. muthagoose

muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    When I mess about with chords on the bass I usually play double stops, which is two notes at the same time, whereas a chord consists of at least 3 notes played simultaneously. Double stops sound a bit less muddy than chords, that's why I use them.

Here are a couple of simple double stops I use, with C as the root:

Root & Fifth Probably the simplest type of double stop, pretty much the same thing as the powerchord often used on the guitar.
    G ---
    D -5-
    A -3-
    E ---

Root & major 3rd This double stop is mostly used over Major chords, since it has a major 3rd interval.
    G ---
    D -2-
    A -3-
    E ---

Root & minor 3rdThis double stop is used mostly over minor chords, since it has a minor 3rd interval.
    G ---
    D -1-
    A -3-
    E ---

Root & Perfect 4thI don't know the name of the type of chord this double stop fits over, but I use it mostly when I'm changing from one chord to another, to make a smooth transition.
    G ---
    D -3-
    A -3-
    E ---

Root & Augmented 4th / Diminished 5thThis chord can be used over V chords, meaning chords that are built on the fifth degree in a major scale. For example, you can use it over the F7 chord if you are playing in the key of C. Just like with the perfect 4th double stop above, I usualy use this double stop to make a smooth transition between two chord.
    G ---
    D -4-
    A -3-
    E ---

I don't know how much you know about this stuff, maybe you already know about all of this. Anyway I hope it was of some help atleast.