Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me with my Motif!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by zxuribin, Mar 23, 2005.

1. zxuribin

zxuribin

Mar 21, 2005
    I recently purchased a Motif 6 and now I think I may have gotten in over my head. I'm usually pretty good at following instructions and figuring out how to work electronic gadgetry.
    But the instructions for the motif are so vague and cmplicated, that I can perform only a limited amount of task.

My #1 problem is after I record my drum pattern and loop it, I then record my bass pattern. When the bass pattern automaticaly loops, the first note gets chopped off.

I've tried overdubbing, but that does'nt work either. Also I'm having trouble with the quantize function. What setting do I use to get all the notes and beats to come together at the same time?

Someone please help me before I go back and exchange for
    somthing less expensive and simpler. :help:

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    http://www.motifator.com

I have a Motif 8, but I haven't used the sequencer since I got Logic. its getting traded for an ES rack eventually

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The quantize answer is easy:

When you are quantizing the Motif allows you select a STRENGTH in percent. Choose 100 to give strict on the beat quantizing. Lower strengths are there so you can tighten up sloppy playing without making it metronomic. Make sure you pick the right note value to quantize to! Pick the wrong one and you can get some pretty funny results :D

I second the advice to go to motifator.com. I was lost with mine until I watched the videotape which cleared up a lot of things. They are now selling a downloadable book which covers JUST sequencing in detail. Yes, it's silly (stupid?) that you should need to buy even more stuff to understand how to work the thing :rolleyes: but the Motif is a deep machine with a whacked out UI. I was lucky, I bought mine used and the previous owner had already bought the video and threw it in (along with a gig bag).

I'm slowly coming to grips with my Motif, I'l probably never tap it's full potential...but what great sounds, eh?