Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dom Wannabe, May 22, 2004.

1. Dom Wannabe

Dom Wannabe

May 17, 2004
    im thinking of teaching myself bass. any suggestions or words of warning? anything will do. :confused:

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Jump in-

Enjoy yourself-

Buy albums-

Don't try so hard-

Listen to EVERYTHYING-

Don't be so serious-

Ask questions-

Shut up and listen-

Commit yourself to having fun-

Learn from EVERYTHING-

3. Don't. I suggest getting a teacher. Still, if you want to learn by yourself: buy a book. And make sure you never play anything without understanding what's behind it.

For example: I can play the bass to 'The bad touch', by the bloodhound gang (it's easy, but kinda cool). So tuesday, my teacher taught me something about octaves. He made me think about it, and all of the sudden I realised that the whole bass was just made up of octaves! Looks like:

--5-5-5-5-8-8-8-8-----------------|
    ------------------8-8-8-8-6-6-6-6-|
    -3-3-3-3-6-6-6-6------------------|
    -----------------6-6-6-6-4-4-4-4--|

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some words of wisdom: The best way to learn is to be self-taught, with the guidance of a teacher.

5. If you are going to learn without a teacher, make sure you learn good playing technique. People who learn with bad technique often never unlearn it and it can be limiting. Find some good bass instruction videos.

You may want to at least take a few lessons here and there to help get some direction. Of course, this forum's not a bad place to go either. You will probably just get a lot of potentially conflicting advice. :)

- Dave

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I concur. At least dig up the money for two or three lessons. It'll make a HUGE difference.

7. AmplifyYourBass

AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Start off with a teacher. Hell, you may even have a friend who knows a thing or two about bass and he can get you started free of charge. I spent my first 3 months of bass playing with a teacher. He was moving to slowly for me, even after I told him I felt I could take down more challenging songs and move up to slap bass. So, for the past 2 and a half years I've been teaching myself and I'm a slap bass whizz. The point here being, it's important to start off with a teacher, but they tend to eventually move at a slower pace than you feel you can move at.