Help me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeylover009, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Hi people!

I play a lot of metallica and i am looking for a bass that will give me a cliff burton sound but also be able to sound close to slayer ,system of a down and primus.

Im willing to spend anything up to around £400 on it. Also can anyone reccomend a good 100W amp for £150?
  2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    those can be wayyyyy different bass requirements, sir.

Cliff used Rickenbacker basses, often through massive fuzz and wah.

Slayer.... hmmm, Tom uses ESP these days, don't remember what he used in the old days... Kind of low-fi, more thumpy than crisp.

SOAD - no actual idea, but it's low (5-string required, or restring a 4 and tune it to C, B, or A depending on the tune - Aerials, for example is in C) - and is pretty hi-fi. Probably Warwick, maybe even higher-end Ibanez. Pure speculation here.

And Primus - whoo, well you can't mistake the burpy greasy midrange of the Carl Thompsons. I love his fretless tone myself. Harder to duplicate, especially since Carl Thompson basses are many many thousands of dollars and no two are exactly alike, but you can get mighty close sometimes. My fretless Warwick can "do" Claypool okay, it's my chops that have trouble =0).

But the point here is that all of these bands have a particular sound - If you can identify what *about* these artists' sounds you're after, it'll be easier to steer you in a direction. Also of note, each player imparts their own sound to the bass - you pick up a Ric, you won't sound just like Cliff, for example.

Just like always in here, I'll say go play every bass in every store close to you, that's in your price range. Something will jump out at you, or at least you'll like it more than others.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You could probably score an black alembic series I/II for that price :p
  4. soad's bass player has a thunderbird bass with ashdown amps & cabs...

i was going to recommend ESP. at least it has the look...

but my thoughts are that newstead plays sadowskys, burton plays rics, claypool plays carl thompsons...pretty expensive least you said slayer, which is an ESP, which would be more in your price range...

5. First, buy Ampeg SVT-2 pro and a Mesa Powerhouse 2x15
    and a Big Muff pedal and a Morley Power wah. I play with a Fender Jazzbass and it gets pretty close to Cliff sound. :bassist:
  6. I'd say an ESP would do the job pretty well.