HELP need new amp (Newbie!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Mar 7, 2006.

1. So I have a crate 100w combo amp and I played a show a few weeks ago(my first show ive played in over a year and a half) and it was no way loud enough, even with all the volume all the way up, so i need a new amp, by my next show firday the 17th, i dont know jack about amps just that I need something louder, and Im gonna need something thats a head and a cabinet not just a combo amp, I really cant afford anything right now but Im gonna be whoring some cash of my parents to pay for it cuz I kinda need it asap, I know someone who worked at guitar center and can get me an employee discount he showed me some amps, I want to get a good amp that will last me a while, not somethign cheap that i will need to get rid of as soon as i can afford something better, so i was thinking i would get a good amp and an ok head just to get me by till i can afford a better head and another cab for a stack. so i really like the Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab(or somethign similar to that) I was playing it through and Ampeg Head but even with the discount together cab and head would be $1k which is way more then i want to spend so I figure i would settle for a much cheaper Baringer head(i think thats what it was) just to get me throuhg being herd in concerts, playing mostly metal, hard rock stuff I dont need complete clarity but its better then gettin one of those cheap cabs with aluminum cones and all static(god they souded awful), so with the entry level head it would coem to $750 still more then what i want to spend

So now my main question, can I get a GOOD cab and a head that will last me a while for less then that? by friday the 17th any help is appreciated
  2. gattigang

Feb 14, 2006
    The Ampeg SVT410HLF is a great cab and I just bought one 3 days ago. I bought it at GC at a good price ..... $550. They also had the SVT410HE for $400 but I needed more lows so I manage to dish out the extra for the HLF. For $750 you can get something pretty decent but if you want new stuff $750 will be pretty much on the low side..... I ended up spending a little over $1000 for a cab and a head I manage to win on e-bay. I would buy the cab at a local GC because shipping would be outrageous and maybe look into e-bay for your head. There are alot of good finds but I also noticed you needed by a certain date, you should also check your local paper classifieds or some kind of trading post. Good luck.
  3. yea the SVT410HLF would end up being something like $550 with the discount i think, im looking for heads on ebay i see this

Ampeg B3 500 Watt Bass Head currently at $66, seems to good to be true? am I overestimating it due to the brand name and wattage?

or this

or this
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What exactly is the price range? I would recommend against the Berhinger because while they sound good they have proven unreliable to me.
  5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    good luck on your quest for tone!
  6. my price range is basicly under $750 i guess, i jsut want to get somethign as cheap as possible that will have sufficent quality. I was just gonna get the baringer amp since I am trying to spend as little money as possible and with the ampeg cabinet i couldnt spend the moeny for a good ampeg head

any input on tthese amps?

or this carvin cabinet? it seems like a good deal for the power but idk how its gonna sound
  7. gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Look on under the musical instruments section. You should be able to find something.
  8. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Look at Avatar with the ashdown deals they offer. Better than GC and probably still cheaper!
  9. gattigang

Feb 14, 2006

Tru Dat! I forgot about the Avatars.
  10. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    GK 400RBIV from

buy my WM 4x10 in the for sale section...Westchester's not that far ;)
  11. what is avatar?

and this seems like a sweet deal?? also please comment on those heads I am seeing on ebay thnx
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  13. ok so here is a short list of alternatives that are sparking my interset, please give comments

Hartke VX215 Bass Cab, Mint - $200
    Carvin RL410T - 800 watt 4x10 with 1 inch Titanium Driver (18.25 Deep to get that great tone)$340
    SWR Workingman 4x10$350
    Ampeg SVT410HLF $500-650 i dont remeber the exact price it was $750 with it and the barrenger amp -- this is the only one I've actually heard and I'm very fond of its sound I would much rather get this but I'm broke

Ampeg STV350H BASS HEAD AMPLIFIER $31+++
    Hartke HA3500 350 watt Bass Amplifier Head$102+++

Im not too concercend with overall head quallity, as long as i get decent compression and 350+watts or whatever i need to be heard.
  14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How about the Avatar 212 with the Ashdown Mag deal? Or one of the Avatar 410s, or even the 210 with a 115?
  15. what is this ashdown mag deal you speak of?
  16. bump :-( someone please give me input