Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Need Raven Labs PMB Schematic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Can anyone help me find a schematic for the Raven Labs PMB 1? Although I love the sound of mine for upright bass, I've had nothing but trouble with it. In fact, I sent it back to the "factory" three times and it still continues to malfunction. I have a good repair guy -- but he needs a schematic. Now, Raven Labs is no longer in business -- and I'm having a difficult time contacting anyone from the company. :confused:

If anyone has a print on this...could you please email it to me?

Many thanks!

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  3. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Freddels -- thanks...yes, I've been to the website. It's frustrating to not be able to find the specific info I'm looking for -- especially on a "pro" piece of gear like this! :eyebrow:

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Perhaps try contacting some of the dealers that are listed and one of them may have the schematic.

Good luck.

Fred

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've found that the phone is the best way to contact Steve Rabe. He just may not have time to respond to Emails as readily. He was very helpful when I needed parts for my PMB.

6. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Thanks Marcus. I suppose he's officially retired now, so not sure who's left in charge at the shop. I've spoken with him several times before with regards to repairs on this unit. Very nice guy indeed -- but he wasn't ready to admit I'd gotten a lemon! I really wanted a new one from the company...but supposedly mine didn't misbehave on the work bench. It's cut out intermittently several times (most often on gigs). Now, the second mic/aux channel doesn't work at all -- although the first channel is working fine. Not much of a blender with one channel eh? What parts did you require for yours? Did you experience a similar problem? Take care...Jason

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    No, mine wasn't cutting out...the volume pot on the mic channel went out, so I ordered a couple of replacements. Steve felt so bad about the exorbitant shipping cost to Hawaii, he threw in a couple of extra pots at no cost. A good guy, indeed.

8. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I think that's part of what may have happened to mine initially. I believe my master volume pot and possibly the mute switch were replaced as they may have been shorting out the whole thing. In any case, I just got an email back from Raven Labs to send it back in. That's fine...but what I really want is a schematic! Oh well, guess they're not excited about giving those things away huh? Thanks you guys for all your input...I'll post a reply to this thread when the unit is shipped back with a report! Jason

9. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Hey Marcus...you don't happen to know a jazz pianist named Mark Johnson do you? I played a few gigs with him in Colorado and I know he moved down to the islands a coupla years ago to play and to wind surf. Later!

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yes, I know Mark, he lives just a few miles from me. Great guy. We occasionally get each others' paychecks for gigs!

It's pretty funny when I get calls for his piano gigs...people thinking they're calling Mark instead of me. Maybe I should just show up at 'em with my keyboard.

11. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    How about that?! Small world huh? Or...small island...Very cool. Well, of course, please tell him I said hello. I'll submit to this thread when I see some results from the company. Now, it's off to find a box, packing tape, and some bubble wrap...

12. Jason Hollar

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Well, that worked out well. Finally got my PMB-1 back from the shop and it has been fixed. The tech emailed to say the cause of the problem was a busted gain pot... So... This most likely happened when the unit was shipped back to me the last time. Much to my surprise, this time the box was crunched on the other corner! Man, I wish those people in the large Brown trucks would take it easy on the packages they handle!
    Anyway, so far so good. Looks like service is still available for those in need. Just don't try getting a schematic from those guys -- they're not interested in handing out intellectual property. Thanks for all the good ideas anyway!

Jason