Help! Need vibrato advice for "Apres Un Reve"

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by brandonwong, Aug 27, 2004.

1. brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hi guys,

Im doing this piece from Faure and having a difficult time trying to get a smooth vibrato from "E to A" on G string. This happens in the 2nd time melody but an octave higher.

I often get my hand in a very stiff position and uncontrollable vibrato "very fast" when goin to thumb position. Usually its the index finger that is not effective. It only happens well when i go thru the two notes for like 5 mins or so. When i come back the next day or start from the top again the same problem occurs.

Any advice for uncontrollable vibrato other than working it out with a metronome tick. It does help but i guess its happening very slowly. I need to get thru this for a exam im taking. Its getting very frustrating trying to get just these two notes right.

Help!... Thanks

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    HI Brandon,

I know where you are coming from, but I think you've got the right answer. Try going even slower against the metronome tick. Chromatic scales with about 8 vibs per note should get you there. Another thing is to practice the shift -just the two notes, while keeping the vibrato speed even. I wish I had the magic bullet answer for you, but I don't know of one. . . Best of luck with your exam.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    For anything that's kicking your fanny, practice just the part that is flummoxing you slowly and over and over. And over. Then play the entire phrase slowly, over and over. And over. Then let it rest and come back later. Keep doing it until you can nail it cold. Then when you back to the piece you can either put out of your mind that this was a sticky spot, forget entirely that this spot ever bothered you, or give the passage 'the bird' as it goes by. Also make sure to study yourself in the mirror as you practice it as you might see something funny that you're doing that is causing you problems.
  4. brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003

At least im more comforted knowing that im probably going on the right track. Probably the phrase "slowly but surely" will come. Well... guess im back to the drawing board of metronome ticking and shifting. and hopefully i'll loosen up by my exam day.

:) Brandon
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Practice without the metronome first, getting the pitch and sound right. Then phrase it musically. Then do the first with the metronome, and then finally play it 'right'.
  6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I won't kid you that it's not about being patient and letting your body do what it wants to do on its own to give you what you are wanting to sound like. I started vibrato in thumb position going much faster than I wanted too, and eventually with practice and time I've got a vibrato that's much slower and pleasing to me.

I want to say that all this time doing "vomit exercises" has contributed much for me here, but your results may vary.

Good luck!
  7. Apres un Reve is so beautiful! The piece seems like its easy because its not fast? But I guess there are some details like vibrato that need to be quality? Would you recomend this piece for a competition? -thanks-
    *sorry for not replying to your questions, but i didnt want to make a new thread for my little question. :)