1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help picking an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lord of Churros, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Lord of Churros

Lord of Churros

Mar 29, 2006
    What's up!
    I'm originally a guitar player, but it's such a hassel finding a bass player to jam with. I figured f**k it, I'll switch to bass because guitar players are a dime a dozen. Anyways, I just picked up a 1970 Cortez (P Bass copy), made in Japan, for 330$. Beautiful bass. Since I'm a college student, I'm kinda low on money so I was wonderin if someone could suggest some excellent amps for under 500$. Thanks a bunch

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Hi
    I would suggest a Ashdown EB-180 C-115, mainly because i used to have one. i think its within your budget but being in the UK i cant tell.

3. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Check out the Ashdown MAG C210T combo. My kid plays one, and it sounds great. $499.99 at American Musical Supply (3 monthly payments, no tax, no shipping, no finance charges). It's got 2 10s and a horn, and 300w of power.

~John

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I think it might only be around 220watss in to the internal speaker and 307watts with an extension cab.
    Still loud though. i giged for a couple of years with the 1x15 version and it was nearly always up to the job. but playing bigger venues now i find its not loud enough and clean at the same time.
    Dont use it much now.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If you already have a good guitar head, try it out with some good bass cabs, and see how it does. If it will work for a while you could put all your money into a better cab. (buy cheap, buy twice).

6. Lord of Churros

Lord of Churros

Mar 29, 2006
    Here's a pic of my new bass. :bassist:
    [​IMG]

By the way, the amp I want is for practicing alone or jammin with my friends. Probably won't be playin live, but I still want a loud amp that can achieve a sweet growl sound.

So far so good, thanks for the help everybody :D