1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help playing 'this'

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by prekabreki, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Hi there I've been playing for about six months and with a band several times a week and 'bassing' is going pretty smoothly and it's all pretty good. But to make a long story short I just can't manage to get a certain technique down. I play using a pick and I know not everyone cares for it but it works for the style of music I'm currently dabbling with.
    Below is a part from the bassline I wrote for a new song using Guitar Pro and of course it sounds great there :smug:

This is what I'm going for but whenever I play it I can't really get the whole striking two strings at once without it sounding strained. So I'm wondering what the 'proper official' way of doing this is? :p
    nttninjafiskalag81-page1.

But I when I play it myself it sounds more like this:
    nttninjafiskalag81-page2.

Any help or simple tips would be great :)

2. I'm strictly a self-taught hobbyist and know nothing about theory, but maybe try resting your finger (on your fret hand) on the string in between (the D string) to mute it. Follow through all 3 strings, keeping the D string muted. Or just learn finger-style. Anyway, I'm probably not much help. Good luck!

3. Now there's a thought, I'll try that when I get off work and see if it goes any smoother.

4. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    Throw away the pick and use your fingers.

5. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do the tabs have discrepancy with the sheet music?
    Assuming I'm not loony, the sheet music appears to be displaying a "B" whereas the tabs are saying to play a "C" on the "A" string...
    Of course, this could be out of standard tuning, which I am unfamiliar with, but it seems unlikely.
    Anyway, subbed, hoping for confirmation or recrimination. Either is welcomed.

6. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    The tuning is in the upper left corner.

As has been said, you're either going to have to mute the string or use your fingers.

7. The tuning is in the upper left hand corner of the page. It's drop D with everything moved down a half step.

8. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    If you want/need to pick, the only way to do the octives is pick thee lower notes and play the higher note with your pinky.

Andy

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, that's about it. Not much else you can do. Even with fingers that would be the only way to go IMHO.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Throw away your fingers and use a pick.

Lighten up, bro. What do you care if someone else uses a pick?

11. Ahh. Well, the display on my computer is too small to distinguish that. Thank you!

12. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    That's the solution to his problem. Sorry if that doesn't jive with your Carol Kaye Pick Technique.

What do you care if my answer is short and to the point?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's not a real answer. It's just a goof on someone who uses a pick. You could play that line with a pick or fingers no problem, doesn't matter. He's choosing to use a pick. Maybe you think fingers would be better for it, but he didn't ask whether he should play it with a pick or fingers and he stated clearly that he had no interest in playing it with fingers. You should respect that.

14. +1 to the suggestion of playing the octave with your finger.

This is a very common practice with guitar players when they need to pick and do arpeggios at the same time or in the same song.

Use the pick between your thumb and first finger to play the lower note and use one of your other fingers to play the higher note. I personally would use my ring finger, and ring and middle fingers when the pedal note swaps to the higher one.

15. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    trying to play that music with a pick would bring you up against a physical limitation... you can not play two strings simultaneously with the same pick!

you can sometimes make a stroke so quick that the notes sound virtually simultaneous, but in your example you're also going to have to mute the string in between.... it's not really the kind of thing a pick lends itself to... you could play the octaves with a spare finger like your ring or middle, but unless you have really good technique I'd imagine it would sound less consistent and rockin than if you just played a monophonic line with octaves... especially when the entire band is playing

the fact is, that line will only sound great if the 16ths are very even & tight... and it is not easy to do what you're attempting... if you DO alternate pick it and pluck the octaves with a finger, some of the finger plucks will coincide with downstroke, some will coincide with an upstroke since the octaves are grouped in 3's... this is not physically easy to do... you might be able to match each finger pluck with all upstrokes or downstrokes, but this will mean doubling up upstrokes or downstrokes at some point... probably just as hard to do...

I wouldn't bother if I was you... you've been playing 6 months which is not a great deal of time - if you can do it, good luck, but it seems like a lot of aggravation for not much payoff.